AndyM

Making 1911 colt pistol holster

I have not done any leather work short of a couple vintage car upholstery jobs. But I’m interested in knife sheaths and gun holsters after posting a few questions here. 

I have an Adler 267 flatbed machine is it possible to make much of a holster with that. And for my first projects what pistols will be easiest and where can I find patterns and good videos to learn from.

In particular I’d like holsters for a 1911 colt and a colt 44 mag short barrel but I don’t want to hard a project to start with if there something a little easier what would you advise. 

Thanks Andy 

That thread size not really for holsters.  You'll want to use a 207 or better. 

But here's a couple designs - 5" 1911 and single .45 mag carrier.  Just one of many variations, lots of folks liked these.

1911_05old.pdf

Mag_1911_single.pdf

I found a nice video on youtube explaining how to make your own pattern for something like this.

You can see it here: 

That's a great video!  About a jillion "video makers" could take some lessons in short time.

• Andrews spends 12 1/2 minutes clearly showing and detailing what some can't seem to spit out in over an hour, or in multiple videos.
  • The video is presented free of charge.
  • Sam isn't selling you anything.
  • No music playing that isn't his (no copyright infringement).
  • Sam reiterates that "you can always work on the artistic part once you have the proportions down" (function before form).

Perhaps worth noting, the very simple principle is the same one presented (also free of charge) by Jim Simmons here on this forum.  Get Jim's pdf - good read even if you're not making that exact holster.

This is without question the best "holster making" video available.  Now, somebody tell Sam it isn't 1976 any more, and you can get heavy paper in reams now -- no need to cut up manila folders any more. ;)

Yes, he explains and shows a great way how to make a pattern. Beforr that it took me a lot of guessing and trying until I had a pattern that fit more or less.

Jim‘s holster pdf seems like a good read, thank you.

Love Sam's videos.

Use the pattern offered by Jeff. If you cut it right and follow his stitch lines it will fit. 

Todd