Sign in to follow this  
Prestige593

First laser etched card wallet.

IMG_0431.thumb.jpg.50015342601f34a13904339904101ce5.jpg

After a lot of trial an error with my new mini desktop laser I was able to get something acceptable. I am still having issues with the software, but I think that this card wallet is not too bad for my novice abilities. I engraved the dolphin on some 2-3 oz veg tan and later dyed it brown and stitched with Tiger thread.

Very nice! I was thinking of getting a mini desktop laser but have read some comments about toxic fumes using chrome tan leather. I see you used veg tan and burned the image before dying the leather. Your dye looks very evenly applied and I am assuming you applied the dye over the image and it wiped off?

I have been using kangaroo leather for wallets and it works great but it is so thin I can't stamp my maker stamp on it because it cuts right through the leather. The laser might be a solution to my problem.

What kind of laser did you get and what software are you using?

Thanks in advance for any information you can share.

I got the mini desktop laser on Amazon for $160, They're pretty much all the same (made in China). It only has a working area of 3"X3". The software is garbage and I pretty much learned what to do by checking online and trial and error. I figured that it's only a $160 loss if it doesn't work out. So far it was worth the price.

The dye didn't need to be wiped off. I just ran my dauber across everything and it didn't effect the etched part at all.  I got a little dye bleed through on opposite side, but i'm not concerned with that. Im in the process of making a few more card wallets just for fun. Ill post some pics when I get them done.