Manuel55

Stepping up towards machine sewing

Hi,

I have been working now for a while with hand stitching, and found my own style, which is pretty much to my liking.
But the time i spend sewing makes my products just to expensive. So I am looking forward to buy a sewing machine.

I am from Germany but living in Barcelona. While in Germany, it seems easier to buy a second hand machine from a dealer, 
I haven't found a dealer yet close to barcelona.

1. sewing rather soft vegetable tanned leather Vachetta in the thickness 1.6-2,2 mm
2. maximum 4 layers.
3. Creating a similar stitching look to a 3mm Seiwa pricking iron with 0.6 mm ritza 25
4. Probably with 0.6 mm ritza 44 thread equally to 208 machine thread? (up and down preferably the same threadsize) (0,4 mm is not available in "small" quantities in my colours)
5. Sewing simple straight lines, but also more complicated inside out constructions

As I have never been working with a sewing machine I would rather choose a machine, which is easier to use.

Looking at the options and researching I found a few machines, which I think would be suitable for my needs:

1. Techsew 2750 pro
No Price yet, but situated in Germany/France so probably around the same 2750 € + vat

2. Pfaff 335
Dealer in the south of spain 2650 € +vat

3. Adler 669 / 69
Dealer close to Barcelona 3790 € + Vat

4. Texi  HD forte cilindro
Dealer inside Barcelona 2050 € + Vat

My question now is, if you do think, that the extra 600 € towards a Pfaff 335 from the Texi clone are worth it, especially, as the dealer isn't close to barcelona?
The Adler 69 Eco seems to be out of my budget. Techsew would be a nice fit, from what I can see, but in the end the dealer is quite far located. So the service might not be so great.

I would like to pay a maximum of around 2500 €. Did I miss out any option in your opinion?

Thank you and excuse me, that my first post is a request for information ;)

Take a tour of the area of Mataro..lot of textile sewing ateliers there, and a reasonable number of leatherwork production ateliers too ( jackets waistcoats, skirts etc ) , ask around for the leather sewing machine dealers.I used to buy finished garments ( leather and textile ) from Mataro suppliers.
HTH :)

Begin asking ask here..Barcelona chamber of commerce section for Mataro
https://www.cambrabcn.org/on-som/punts-de-servei/mataro

The main Barcelona chamber of commerce will also know of the leather goods ateliers in other parts of the Barcelona area..and maybe sewing machine dealers there.

IIRC there were many ateliers producing leather bags too..and some producing leather footwear..

Edited by mikesc

1 hour ago, mikesc said:

Take a tour of the area of Mataro..lot of textile sewing ateliers there, and a reasonable number of leatherwork production ateliers too ( jackets waistcoats, skirts etc ) , ask around for the leather sewing machine dealers.I used to buy finished garments ( leather and textile ) from Mataro suppliers.
HTH :)

Begin asking ask here..Barcelona chamber of commerce section for Mataro
https://www.cambrabcn.org/on-som/punts-de-servei/mataro

The main Barcelona chamber of commerce will also know of the leather goods ateliers in other parts of the Barcelona area..and maybe sewing machine dealers there.

IIRC there were many ateliers producing leather bags too..and some producing leather footwear..

Thank you so much Mike,

I will definitely also check them out.
What do you think in general about the machines, I have listed above?

I get the impression that the Pfaff 335 might not be suitable for 0.6 mm ritza (207 or 277 thread equivalent?)
But I haven't tried 0.4 mm thread Ritza in general, so I don't know for sure yet, that this won't be anyway better for nearly 2 mm Leather.

greetings from Barcelona

I haven't used any of the machines that you mentioned..mine are Singer or Juki..someone else who knows the ones that you listed will have to advise on them.

The older 335's were limited to #138 thread but were happier with #69, I'm not sure about the new models as I couldn't find it listed in the manual that I have. It also mentions needing an air supply.

Ok thanks all for the advises,

I finally got a second hand Adler 669 nearly unused for a really good price. So I went for it.

Great machine   That will work for you nicely.  I have one.  I replaced my Pfaff 335G with it. You got the best machine in its class on the market.  You will not be sorry.

glenn