billcurley

Embroidery machine recommendation for leather straps

CowboyBob,

Probably not the place to ask this, but I'm trying to find an Embroidery machine at a reasonable price.  I do very little embroidery but sometimes it is the only option to get the detail that my customers want on their guitar straps.  Is there a machine you would suggest or that you may have for sale that will work well on lightweight leather (2/3 oz veg, or 5/6 oz chrome)?  I am loking for something along the same line as my Juki 563, timeless (works well and easy to find parts when necessary) and not too expensive.  If it means changing thread to add/change color mid design that is no big deal as this is not for high production.  Either reply here or directly to my e-mail at info@lyricleather.com

Thanks in advance

Bill

Many monogramming shops are able to embroider onto leather jackets. You might check out a nearby embroidery shop to see what machines they use to do this. I am not up to date on the currently produced embroidery machines, other than Melco. I just saw a 10 needle, Husqvarna/Viking MN-1000 embroidery machine for sale at Joann Fabrics, in the Viking machine section. It looks good and sells for about 10k on sale (list is ~16k). The only concern I would have is the motor.

Here is a video about embroidery on chrome tan leather.

I have had Toyota, Brother and Barudan embroidery machines and all would sew lightweight chrome leather as long as you changed the pattern to a wide stitch interval loosing some definition, say reducing a 30,000 design to maybe 3000 stitches, otherwise the needle holes have little leather between stitches, you may get away with veg tan goat, sheep or very soft calf veg tan but asking for problems if much thicker,

Whereas sewing motors are in the order of £1000-1500 embroidery machine motores and fitting etc may be far far more expensive

Repairs for industrial embroidery machines or just maintenance normally means a visit from a trained mechanic and the last time in the UK i called one it costed £400 just on travel costs plus parts and working time on the machine, unfortunately they all know they can charge whatever they like as few mechanics around most towns

With a single head industrial machine costing at least £8,000 and multi head machines looking upwards to about £50,000 the owners need to balance the risk they put on the machines

Vinyl is fine as it has fabric lining, but leather would get chewed up.

Vinyl is fine as it has fabric lining, but leather would get chewed up.

He uses leather, ( not vinyl ) which, if he follows Chris's advice, will be fine ( would not get "chewed up" at all ).I send out my embroidery work on leather*( if it is really fine , or repetitive ) to a local guy who has the kind of machines that Chris is used to ..cost is very reasonable..

*lamb, goat, calf., nothing over 2mm thick ( back the leather with "stabiliser" ) ..need thicker,?  Back the thin embroidered piece ( after it has been embroidered ) with thicker leather, or "inset" the embroidered leather parts after they are done into the item(s) you are making.

There is a lot of embroidered leather done in the world, the technique began centuries ago, nowadays it is not all done by hand..luxury high end fashion and maroquinerie uses it.

Edited by mikesc