toxo

Laser engraver deal? Maybe.

Ok..go here https://www.7-zip.org/

choose Download 7-Zip 19.00 (2019-02-21) for Windows: .don't use the "19.02 alpha"

pick the version 86 or 64 that works with your windows ..install it..and try again to open that .rar file but this time using7zip.. not winzip ..

Mike you really are a star but my brain is turning to mush. I'll try to get my head around the 7zip thing tomorrow. Thanks for trying mate. I do appreciate it. Until then. Paul

OK.. I know..unless you deal with computers a lot this kind of thing will do that to you, especially late at night..no worries..I'll look into the thread around 14.00 Friday my time..Worst comes to worst..I can send you a key with working software via snail mail..and instructions..But..we'll try here first as the instructions and "walk through" can be useful to anyone else that comes along later with the same problem :)

Update..I have now installed that software in 3 win machines..Two win 7 ulti Eng..and One win 7 home premium Fr.

driver.EXE installs, but takes two goes in home premium..

diao.exe install sin all with messages from windows about "problems*" but can "ignore" and "continue" click through, which is hwo I had originally installed it..and done that way it engraves bit maps in B/W with no problems..

But, this time when I did the installs I trid to do something which I had not tried previously..the software is supposed to be able to do lettering ( if you have the typefaces that you want to use on your win PC )..I normally do not use it for lettering, so had not bothered clicking the lettering button..I discovered that it does not work..the software can only see the first typeface on the many thousands that I have, it dos not offer the others, nor can I change the size of the one it can see ( size is fixed at 24pt )..This is because it cannot create the drop down windows that you normally use to choose type style and type size..So..I went back to the "problems" that it mentions when installing..and this time I read through them..they are unusually detailed for windows..One after another in the details window during installation, it informs that the various .dll files in the folder with the Chinese characters cannot communicate with the windows window system drawing files..In other words, the software's files do not know how to "talk to windows system" in order to get it to create the "windows" that it needs in order to be able to allow you to change type styles and type sizes..

In the win 7 home Fr machine..it can only see "wing dings".. :) .on my others it can only see "comic sans"..

So any work with text will have to be done in other software..and saved in that software as .bmp and imported as .bmp files into the laser software..No problem for me..But may be very inconvenient for others..I'm currently experimenting to see if any other laser software can work with it, and if they have text abilities.One looks promising..but..it seems to be constantly trying to "talk to" my scanner ( scanners use a transport system and code that is very similar to the code for lasers and CNC machines )..which makes irritating little beep beeps every 30 seconds or so because of it..even when the software has been closed..If I reboot the machine the polling of the scanner stops, but restarts when I launch the software..The software is "open source", so..I have access to the code..I'll see if I can track down what is doing the "scanner polling", and if so..fix it..Then I'll get in touch with the original dev and discuss..If that works out, there may be an alternative to the buggy Chinese software that is sent with these machines..if not..text will have to be added or set up outside the software ( on key and on computer ) that drives these in other respects neat little self contained laser machines.

In the light of that..for the moment, I don('t think it is a very good idea for me to send software via the web, or on a key that is "buggy"..I could try to fix those .dlls, but that might be harder ( I'd have to disassemble the code ) than working with open source code..

Update 2...The "promising" alternative software does not connect successfully to the laser..it cannot see it on COM ports 1,2,or 3..So...back to "the drawing board" ( pun unavoidable ).. :(

Edited by mikesc

Sorry Mike, didn't see this.

yesterday I d/loaded the 32bit version which was wrong. Now deleted and 64bit installed but when asked what to open with there are 4/5 files in the 7zip folder and I don't have a clue which does what. I deleted all versions of the Lu*** and reloaded but still no extension on Diao or driver.

I understood some of the above. I have an old version of "Fireworks" which I love dearly even if I can't use it to it's full potential so please feel free to enlighten me on how to get files from there to here IF I can get it running. I might ask the seller to send me another key that's proven to work on 7.

In your opinion is this worth persevering with or should I back it and get something else?

Be back later. dogs giving me stick cos I haven't cooked their minced rabbit yet.

If your version of that mediafire file opens with 7zip and still the files in there are missing their .exe extension..I wonder if you might have some sort of anti-virus which is "killing" them..Almost all of the software that runs any lasers on windows says to suspend the AV when installing as the heuristics in the AV risks identifying the files as malware and either quarantining it or rendering it inoperable..My win systems have no anti-virus running ( slows them down and does weird things behind your back ) and as they are not allowed to be connected to the web..and normally I don't add software to them, they are not at risk.I run a sort of data sum tester on them, adapted from a commercial software that was around 20 or so years ago..principal is "anything attempts changes on crucial files"..gets blocked and it tells me what did what and to whom and when..New stuff I run in a VM with that running before I add it to the actual system.

got to go out ...look in later..

It seems the laptop upstairs that I'm connecting with doesn't have any a/v. But it can't be that because this desktop W7 H/P also downloads the same files sans .exe. The comp in the back room also (running Vista (yeah, I know)). I have a vague feeling that .exe was there originally (I may be wrong) and I messed up. Could the downloads be monitored and limit the d/loads?

WOW. I think I've found it.

Downloaded again on the Vista machine Where I have winrar. Opened the file and

1070688312_September19016.thumb.JPG.9757ffd11a56cf1b03fd44a1badad8fd.JPG

And

1634337344_September19018.thumb.JPG.c4dc553f9c33353615acd164cf1dd404.JPG

Put in the usb key and told winrar to extract and replace. and this was the result.

1178030223_September19020.thumb.JPG.bd0c5bee95573e18cc3ee871a25d7878.JPG

Wait ..what did you tell winrar to extract and replace for..never tell anything to replace if you have not already saved the version that had what you wanted.
So you have replaced the version with .exe and now have only the version with no dot exe ? Or do you still have a version with .exe somewhere ?

The laser engraver software will not work on Vista ( almost every single seller of that model says that it will not work on Vista )..Stupid because win7 is based on Vista code..vista is 6.0 and win7 is 6.1

I'm still trying to find a version of v1.0 on the web to download, or another software that can run these machines with text manipulation in there.

Still have it on winrar but tried to extact to the usb key/downloads/documents. All arrived with no .exe.

Back on the laptop. D/loaded again with 7zFM Is that the right one?

all the same except I managed to install the Driver.exe file. Which at least enabled me to burn a piece of leather enough to let me know I need the software.

7zFM ?..
The 7z that you want is the one I linked to above..it is the second one on that page ..the file name ( if you hover over the download link there is is 7z1900x64.exe , next to it it says 64-bit x64 1 MB ..

How did you get the laser to burn with only the driver.EXE installed ?
What software did you use ?
Normally you need to have the software which is in the folder 雕刻机软件 and which is started when you click on diao.exe
This is version2.0 which will burn images , but which also has a "bug" that means it does not allow you to create text with the software.
This is why I'm trying to find version v1.0 ..that is the one that is shown in the manual, and which works completely.

28 minutes ago, mikesc said:

7zFM ?..
The 7z that you want is the one I linked to above..it is the second one on that page ..the file name ( if you hover over the download link there is is 7z1900x64.exe , next to it it says 64-bit x64 1 MB ..

How did you get the laser to burn with only the driver.EXE installed ?
What software did you use ?
Normally you need to have the software which is in the folder 雕刻机软件 and which is started when you click on diao.exe
This is version2.0 which will burn images , but which also has a "bug" that means it does not allow you to create text with the software.
This is why I'm trying to find version v1.0 ..that is the one that is shown in the manual, and which works completely.

when I downloaded 7zip there was four or five files in there as I said above somewhere. Anyway I chose 7zFM (file manager). Anyway, today I opened it instead of saving it worked insofar as it listed the files. I was able to double click .exe from the 7zip page where it asks where to extract and windows (I think) started extracting/installing then stalled and came up with can't do one particular file. I took no notice and  installed anyway and it did it.. Still nowhere with the rest but the pics came up on the console where I burn't through 2.5mm on lowest power and lowest depth because the image was tiny. So still waiting on my computer guru to come up with an answer. :)

Where did you download 7z from..if you downloaded it from where I said to go..there is only one file that downloads, it is 7z1900x64.exe
There are not 4 or 5...and where is "in there" ?
What is "from the 7zip page"....7zip doesn't open to a "page"..7zip is a program.
What is "I was able to double click .exe"..what .exe are you talking about ? ..
There's no such thing as .exe ..there must be something before the .exe ..like .. something.exe . or thisthing.exe

If by "the console" you maen the small touch screen on the laser machine..the images will "come up" ther if you just connect the power block and put the USB key in there..doesn't need the computer at all..

The software is already on the USB key..the pics are on the key ..The "console" works with the pictures from the key, if the key is plugged into it..even if the computer is switched off and not connected to the "console"..
But in order to get the software that is on the USB to install into the computer, and in order that the computer can "talk to" the laser..you have to put the key into the computer, then install the driver.EXE..( by clicking on it..that gives you an "old fashioned looking ( dos Dialogue box ) small dialogue box" which tells you about the driver..which you have to OK..Then windows will probably give you a warning about do you accept etc etc ..and you click on allow or accept or whatever lets it continue installing...then ( with the USB key still in the computer ) you copy everything that is on the key into a folder on your computer desktop..then you go into that folder and you "click" diao.exe..That opens the software on your computer..but it installs it in a sort of temporary way, each time you click diao.exe in that file..it does a "temp" install ( similar to a portable program, but not quite ) ..the problem is that it does a temp install of v2.0 which has a bug..In your case when you put the USB key into the computer , apparently diao.exe is minus the .exe part..

But what do you get on your computer screen when you click diao.exe , you should get windows again saying "are you sure " etc etc ..so you click "accept" or whatever is the equivalent..and it will start to "install" ( after it says that it is installing and that it cant work with a file ) ? do you then get a pale blue program window all in Chinese?

Btw..If you want to show what is on your screen..hit the keyboard button marked prnt or prnt scr or similar..it will take a picture of your entire computer screen..it is important to know what "window" ( not windows* ) you are in when you see things..taking a picture with your camera "close in" like you did above there ,does not allow that..
*Sometimes that can be important too..to know which version of windows ( and other things ) you are in..

Edited by mikesc

OK. Brain is still fried. I think the difference was the first time I saved and d/loaded 7z. Which is why there were files in the program. After deleting everything I d/loaded again but opened with 7z which brought me to the interface asking where to extract to. From that list of files I installed driver.exe after ignoring the thing saying it couldn't do it.

When I first got the key and inserted it in the console I got nada. No pictures, nothing. I did later and assumed because of installing driver exe. Anyway still no .exe showing on the files on the key. At this point I had to go lay down in a darkened room.

This morning I felt brave enough to face it again. And I nearly fell down when I clicked Diao with no .exe and the interface came up. Took a while to find out how to change to english but the interface on the screen isn't the same as in the handbook.

print screen doing nothing.

Worked out how to get image in the interface but can't resize beyond what's there in the window approx 10mm. If i wipe to put in new parameters it won't let me input anything.

Print screen doesn't say it is doing something , but it saves a copy of the screen somewhere , I'll fire up a win machine to see if I can find out where ..
Yep..handbook shows software version v1.0
Key has version v2.0...with the fonts bug.
To resize an image in the software on the computer..go to the width box or the height box box..( the height and width ratios are locked, you can unlock them..don't ).
"Wipe" one of the boxes..don't wipe both at once..put the figure that you want into the one that you wiped..then without touching the other box..click in the picture area ( not on the picture, just in the area..The other box will change to a new figure which is in ratio to the one you altered.
This does not change the image itself, just the size that it burns at..if you want to save it at this size..click on the "floppy" symbol button and it will be saved into the same folder as diao.exe ( your computer is hiding the .exe part from you, we can deal with that another day :)
This resized image is not in the picture folder on the key, unless you copy it to there ( and if you do you'll have to give it another name or it will overwrite the original..example if you have an image called 12.bmp..and you make it 4 times bigger in the computer, it will save to the computer, it won't call it 12.bmp, it will give it a name with a large number , like 156782563.bmp..change it to 12BIG.bmp..or "whatever.. and copy it into the picture folder.."if you want that image in the key....leave the key in the computer, copy that image into the "picture" folder on the key..Then when you unplug the laser from the computer and plug the key into the laser, the larger image will be in the folder that opens when you click the folder icon on the touch screen....it will be at the bottom of the list, to get to it touch the down arrow on the touch screen.
Because of the "bug" if you want text..or text and a picture, you'll have to do that in another software "paint" or whatever you have..save it as a.bmp and copy it into ether the picture folder on the key, or the picture folder inside the main folder that has diao.exe etc in it..

Experiment..

Bear in mind that the software on both the key and the folder on your computer uses a definition of 500DPI..so ..if you want to make an image that is 2 inches width when lasered , you have to create an image which has 1000px across..The bigger your images..the longer they take to burn..If you use the "discreet" setting ( it is the most accurate , it is the one to use for photos ) it will take even longer..If you make images with the resolution that people normally use for.. the web ( 72DPI or 96 DPI ) they will be very very small..Unless you "resize" them .which you can do in the software on the computer, if you do what I said earlier about only click in the one box, not both..You can use both, but if you do, you have to unlock the "ratio"..Normally you would not want to..at least not until you have got used to using the software..

Remember always use the eye protection, and don't allow the dogs, kids, anyone else in the room where it is working, because if they look at the burning spot, they'll damage their eyes..permanently.

I suggest making it a box with protective sides..If you know any welders, get some of the green plastic strips that they make "welding pen" curtains from ( not the red ones, the frequency of this laser needs the green, the red does not protect at this frequency ) ..make a frame box big enough to keep over the machine ( with about 10 cms clearance top , and around the sides..) and the use that plastic to fill in the top and all the sides..Then you can leave it working without worrying about who looks at it..Better again is to cut a hole in the back and ventilate ( with a small computer fan and an old computer power supply ) with a tube to outside..Especially if you are burning things that give off poisons, like PVC, acrylic, plastic "leather", or chrome tan..Ventilate anyway, whatever you burn...And be careful when burning as some things can catch fire easily..corrugated cardboard is particularly good at catching fire..

Meanwhile..if I can find either the v1.0 software ( no bugs ) or another that works..I'll let you know.. :)

Btw..if your machine is hiding the .exe part of some files from you, then it is probably hiding some other file types on some other files..so..be extremely careful about what you click on in emails..you can get viruses , trojans, or get hit by ransome ware very easily if you system is hiding things from you sometimes..you may already have a virus somewhere, I know of quite a few that hide what is after the dot on some files, and they do not do it on every file..The diao.exe file is "clean" as is the driver.EXE..and the various.dlls included are ..at least on mine they are, as my "home brew" protection has not triggered since installing this laser on any of the 3 machines that I have the software on.

Edited by mikesc

48 minutes ago, mikesc said:

Print screen doesn't say it is doing something , but it saves a copy of the screen somewhere , I'll fire up a win machine to see if I can find out where ..
Yep..handbook shows software version v1.0
Key has version v2.0...with the fonts bug.
To resize an image in the software on the computer..go to the width box or the height box box..( the height and width ratios are locked, you can unlock them..don't ).
"Wipe" one of the boxes..don't wipe both at once..put the figure that you want into the one that you wiped..then without touching the other box..click in the picture area ( not on the picture, just in the area..The other box will change to a new figure which is in ratio to the one you altered.
This does not change the image itself, just the size that it burns at..if you want to save it at this size..click on the "floppy" symbol button and it will be saved into the same folder as diao.exe ( your computer is hiding the .exe part from you, we can deal with that another day :)
This resized image is not in the picture folder on the key, unless you copy it to there ( and if you do you'll have to give it another name or it will overwrite the original..example if you have an image called 12.bmp..and you make it 4 times bigger in the computer, it will save to the computer, it won't call it 12.bmp, it will give it a name with a large number , like 156782563.bmp..change it to 12BIG.bmp..or "whatever.. and copy it into the picture folder.."if you want that image in the key....leave the key in the computer, copy that image into the "picture" folder on the key..Then when you unplug the laser from the computer and plug the key into the laser, the larger image will be in the folder that opens when you click the folder icon on the touch screen....it will be at the bottom of the list, to get to it touch the down arrow on the touch screen.
Because of the "bug" if you want text..or text and a picture, you'll have to do that in another software "paint" or whatever you have..save it as a.bmp and copy it into ether the picture folder on the key, or the picture folder inside the main folder that has diao.exe etc in it..

Experiment..

Bear in mind that the software on both the key and the folder on your computer uses a definition of 500DPI..so ..if you want to make an image that is 2 inches width when lasered , you have to create an image which has 1000px across..The bigger your images..the longer they take to burn..If you use the "discreet" setting ( it is the most accurate , it is the one to use for photos ) it will take even longer..If you make images with the resolution that people normally use for.. the web ( 72DPI or 96 DPI ) they will be very very small..Unless you "resize" them .which you can do in the software on the computer, if you do what I said earlier about only click in the one box, not both..You can use both, but if you do, you have to unlock the "ratio"..Normally you would not want to..at least not until you have got used to using the software..

Remember always use the eye protection, and don't allow the dogs, kids, anyone else in the room where it is working, because if they look at the burning spot, they'll damage their eyes..permanently.

I suggest making it a box with protective sides..If you know any welders, get some of the green plastic strips that they make "welding pen" curtains from ( not the red ones, the frequency of this laser needs the green, the red does not protect at this frequency ) ..make a frame box big enough to keep over the machine ( with about 10 cms clearance top , and around the sides..) and the use that plastic to fill in the top and all the sides..Then you can leave it working without worrying about who looks at it..Better again is to cut a hole in the back and ventilate ( with a small computer fan and an old computer power supply ) with a tube to outside..Especially if you are burning things that give off poisons, like PVC, acrylic, plastic "leather", or chrome tan..Ventilate anyway, whatever you burn...And be careful when burning as some things can catch fire easily..corrugated cardboard is particularly good at catching fire..

Meanwhile..if I can find either the v1.0 software ( no bugs ) or another that works..I'll let you know.. :)

Btw..if your machine is hiding the .exe part of some files from you, then it is probably hiding some other file types on some other files..so..be extremely careful about what you click on in emails..you can get viruses , trojans, or get hit by ransome ware very easily if you system is hiding things from you sometimes..you may already have a virus somewhere, I know of quite a few that hide what is after the dot on some files, and they do not do it on every file..The diao.exe file is "clean" as is the driver.EXE..and the various.dlls included are ..at least on mine they are, as my "home brew" protection has not triggered since installing this laser on any of the 3 machines that I have the software on.

My God man! Your brain must be at least twice the size of mine. I'm gonna have to print this and ingest ingest it bit by bit. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help and perseverance. I don't know what was closer, sending it back or chucking it in the bin. If I can make it work the excitement will come back. The thing seems to have the power required. Dogs dinner beckons. I'll have a go later. Thanks again Mike.

Let me know which version of windows you are using it with..and then I can hook mine up to the same version so as to be exactly "in step" , if I haven't already done what it is that you might get stuck with. I've got animals (ours) and others* , and family to feed here to, so I'll look in later, or tomorrow..

*Looking after ( feeding etc ) some animals for friends who are away ATM..Got to drive over there and do the evening feed...Already recorded the rugby* to watch over night or tomorrow.

Each match in Japan is broadcast live here on free TV. ( TF1 ) ...so I have the "box" recording it for us to watch at our leisure..currently watching France v Argentina as I'm typing.. Ireland v Scotland and the other matches is / are for later. :)

Began working with computers in the early 70s ..it gets to be second nature after a while..my son is better than I am..He began at age 5..was born in 93.

Edited by mikesc

My dogs start telling me off If I haven't started cooking their minced rabbit by 5.30pm.

This comp is W7 sp1.

The size window thing didn't work. Once I wipe one of the boxes it won't allow any input at all.

This (I have a girl friend who's all wolf) printed at 60 x 90 inches. actual size = 60mm x 90mm imported from elsewhere.. A bit sooty cos I smudged it but at least now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

IMG_E2205.thumb.JPG.7cc71088303abb58f0ac91a191c07fa2.JPG

"The size window thing didn't work. Once I wipe one of the boxes it won't allow any input at all. "
That is weird..I can do that on win7 sp1 ulti and on win7 sp1 home premium..buggrit.

OK ..What drawing programs do you have installed that you are comfortable with..?
Hopefully I have at least one of them on windows..Photoshop ? Gimp ?

"but at least now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. "

Don't look into the light.. :)

Just paint on the laptop.  I have fireworks  which I love on the vista machine but don't think it'll copy over. Maybe d/load gimp.

I don't think that fireworks would work..paint might get you started..But Gimp ( now that they have released version 2.10 is really worth getting ) as is inkscape, and krita, also paint.net, and if you really want amazing software that costs nothing, get blender..if you do a lot of photography get darktable ( like lightroom , but free and IMO better )..I'll try and work up a "how to" beginning with importing an image and changing it's size ready for passing to the laser software '( either in windows or on the key or both ).. in Gimp ( or something ) for you...kept simple..for beginners..

Not now though..it is 03.40 here ( watching Caligula ( Opera ) done by live singers and marionettes, in Italian, very well done, recording it too ) going to feed the cat ..look in tomorrow, later today..

"hide extensions for known file types"..put an X in it..then click apply and OK..now look at diao.exe and pei_zhi.ini ..they should now show their "extensions"..

Paul..I just realised..when I said to do what I put in that quote box..I steered you 180° wrong..Comes of posting when tired..

That "box" should not be ticked..untick it by clicking on it again..then click OK.

now your diao.exe will show the .exe part

and all other files on you computer will show their extensions..windows caught me out again, with it's stupid stupid stupid "hide extensions for known file types" being pre ticked..Untick it ..and apply and OK.

Corrected step by step..

"OK I presume that the key is in the computer and you are using windows explorer to see what is on the key..so..stay in windows explorer on that folder..go to "organize"..click it..go down to "folder and search options" click it..you'll land in "folder options"..click the tab that says "view"..scroll down to "hide extensions for known file types"..if there is an X in it, ( probably will be ) click the box to get rid of the X..then click apply and OK..now look at diao.exe and pei_zhi.ini ..they should now show their "extensions".."

The rest might start working better once you have done that too.

Edited by mikesc
Corrected previous instructions re win( all ) "hide"/"unhide" extensions