AusSimon

Consew 226R-1 or 206RB-3 Used

Hey All,

After spending a few days looking for a home use hobby machine i have come across these two machines for sale in my area.

226R-1 is from a shop and $900 cad + tax (come with a 1 year warrantee)

206RB-3 is from someone who just used it at home and looking at $1100 no tax.

I feel like these are both ok deals considering the limited number of good machines. 

Any thoughts on which is a better buy?

The 206RB-3 has a larger "M" size bobbin. The 226R-1 uses a smaller "G" size bobbin.

With all other things equal, I would look into the 206RB.

Do the machines have a servo or clutch motor. You most likely want a servo motor for better control.

I would look around some more, I think you can do better on the price. Those prices are getting close to new machine prices.

Hey @JJN thanks very much for the reply. 

Good point on the servo motor. That would be a deal maker. I will have to ask the guys in the store, I know the other one does not have it, but the store may be able to throw it in pretty cheep.

Also, sorry I should have stated, those prices are in CAD. So $680 and $825 in USD.

I was aware of the differing bobbin size, though its a factor it's a very small one for me, i only do small jobs.

Those prices sound very reasonable, both are very good machines.  Consew 206RB-3 made in Japan was really super great out of the box, old world Japanese quality.

Hey guys.

So I ended up going with the 226R-1, it is OLD but it pretty great shape considering. I picked it up for $700 CAD in the end and it came with 6 months of repairs included. I got a 3/4hp KOBE servo motor and a shorter belt to suit for another $200 and i am off to the races. Absolutely loving it!!!

I liked the 206 much more, it was WAY newer and the bobbin much bigger, but the seller would not budge from $1100 and it didn't have a servo motor yet either.

Thank you everyone for all your help and advice. i truly appreciate it.

Cheers,

Simon

IMG_9367.jpg

That is a good looking setup. I think you got a great deal with the table and servo motor. It all looks like new.

226R is as good as any machine.  Basically a Singer 111W155 with reverse made by Seiko in Japan.  

4 hours ago, Gregg From Keystone Sewing said:

226R is as good as any machine.  Basically a Singer 111W155 with reverse made by Seiko in Japan.  

Thanks Gregg, I am ever so happy with it. For the light leather work i am doing it just goes through like butter, and consistently.

I tried to DYI a speed reducer today from parts i found in the sewing shop, but failed. I feel the $150+ dollars people are asking for 2 wheels (worth maybe $20) and a bracket is a bit rich.

Top loading bobbins are easier to use in my opinion.  The 226 is a great machine.  

On 9/19/2019 at 2:29 PM, AusSimon said:

Hey guys.

So I ended up going with the 226R-1, it is OLD but it pretty great shape considering. I picked it up for $700 CAD in the end and it came with 6 months of repairs included. I got a 3/4hp KOBE servo motor and a shorter belt to suit for another $200 and i am off to the races. Absolutely loving it!!!

I liked the 206 much more, it was WAY newer and the bobbin much bigger, but the seller would not budge from $1100 and it didn't have a servo motor yet either.

Thank you everyone for all your help and advice. i truly appreciate it.

Cheers,

Simon

IMG_9367.jpg

Hey AusSimon, 

I am trying to identify a sewing machine. My machine looks like you’re model. Minus the reverse lever. Can you post a picture of you bottom shaft configuration on my post: Consew Seiko Singer ??? and help me identify my machines authentic model number. Great looking set up. How do you like it? 

She’s beautiful!

Do you think you really need speed reducer?

I almost got a 226r… 

Chip from

CHIPPER BAGS