Glendon

First true manual clicker press: Chinese models vs Tandy Craftool Pro vs Weaver Mighty Wonder

Ok, I'm finally going to take the plunge and buy a purpose built clicker press. For a number of years I have been making do with a kludged hydraulic bench press setup, but I'm finally well sick of fiddling with it. Now the question is, do I save some money and go with one of the 1 .5 ton Chinese models, spend double on a Tandy Craftool Pro, or open my wallet and get one of the solid manual presses like the Weaver / CB-8360. I know the cheaper options are limited because of the width of leather you can get through their throat, but it's a pretty good price difference. I currently don't have any larger clicker dies that wouldn't fit in the smaller presses. Eventually I'd like to click some larger bag pieces, but that's a ways off. I'm stuck on saving some cash now and possibly trading up later, or going for one of the big names now. What would you all do?  

one word answer - Weaver. I like the Lucris Mach III presses too but haven't found anyone willing to part with one for less than they paid for it new. Right now we are using an air/hydralic ram on the Weaver benchtop A frame modified shop press. It is OK, and good enough for what I click now. If I don't find a used Weaver close enough before the shows next spring I'm going to see about buying their show model ahead of time and haul it home. 

Thanks Bruce. That was kind of where I was leaning. I just needed the push to just spend the money and be done with it. I ended up ordering the Weaver 4 ton Mighty Wonder. I should have it at the beginning of next week. I'll try to write up something on the delivery and set up experience for the people here who are curious.   

On 9/22/2019 at 8:08 PM, Glendon said:

Thanks Bruce. That was kind of where I was leaning. I just needed the push to just spend the money and be done with it. I ended up ordering the Weaver 4 ton Mighty Wonder. I should have it at the beginning of next week. I'll try to write up something on the delivery and set up experience for the people here who are curious.   

I'm interested in your (or anyone elses) experience with the Mighty Wonder 4 ton clicker. Do you like it? Does it work well? Ect.

Also, I would really appreciate it if you could post pictures (several) of the working parts of the machine from various angles, and in various positions. I ask this because im a professional welder and machinist... And have been very seriously considering building my own clicker based on the mighty wonder. If you are willing I might want a few measurements from the machine as well.

I hope this isnt too much to ask, and thank you in advance.

I've got the Weaver 4 ton Mighty Wonder and still have the Weaver bench top modified shop press with the plates (previously swapped the jack for air/hydraulic). The Mighty Wonder needs to bolted down to a sturdy bench. The arm creates a lot of leverage on the base and it takes a good bench to hold it and keep from tipping. Setting it further back from the edge makes it more stable too. It works well for smaller and simple dies. I can do bigger complex dies on it, my wife not as easily. If she has many of those she goes to the  benchtop air/hydraulic jacked shop press. Easier for her to put-put-put through them pressing a button. .

I have the Lucris Mk3 5 ton and can't fault it.