gojosh

Barry King Awl Handle Slips

Hi everyone!

Awhile back I purchased a Barry King small awl handle and awl blade.

The awl handle is the small sized collet style with the flat side. The blade is the size 1 blade.

The issue I'm having is the blade slips in the collet regardless of how tight I get the hex nut.

I'm using the smaller end of the collet and the blade is super tight (difficult to insert by hand) but slips when I try to use it.

I'm familiar with collets (Dremel tools, lathes, mills, pin vices, exacto knives etc.) what am I doing wrong?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sir, were it me, I'd take a triangular file to the awl end to be grasped by the collet.  Don't go crazy, just a stroke or two should raise enough of a bur to allow the collet to get a better grip on the awl.  Alternatively, you could pick up a cheap straight hand knurling tool which will give the end of the awl a more controlable profile.

On 9/19/2019 at 12:32 AM, gojosh said:

Hi everyone!

Awhile back I purchased a Barry King small awl handle and awl blade.

The awl handle is the small sized collet style with the flat side. The blade is the size 1 blade.

The issue I'm having is the blade slips in the collet regardless of how tight I get the hex nut.

I'm using the smaller end of the collet and the blade is super tight (difficult to insert by hand) but slips when I try to use it.

I'm familiar with collets (Dremel tools, lathes, mills, pin vices, exacto knives etc.) what am I doing wrong?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Did you run this by Barry King.  Perhaps he could swap out the blade if it is too small to grip.

13 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

Did you run this by Barry King

That's what I'd do too.  If you sold me a tool that doesn't do what it's supposed to do, I'd be asking you what the problem is.