Rossr

Fishing creel fixup

I have a friend who has this old fishing creel.  He just keeps his fly boxes in it and brings it fishing with him.  Its was tired and about ready for the trash heap.  I found put it belonged to his dad so I said I'd look at it figuring no way to fix.  However some internet searching and some study lead me to this with the help of leather.  It should hold up a while longer yet.  The strap I was able to save that has the ll bean on it and the front buckle.  The lid inmade if leather and stamped initials and carved the leaves.  Double loop lacing in calf skin around it.   The strap around the top and underneath I think is bridle.  The parts on the creel are a oil tan and I buck stitched them in place. 

Lot of work but a labor of love.  I'm looking forward to surprising him with it.  Thoughts and improvements welcomed as always.

20190920_122242.jpg

20190920_122307.jpg

20190920_121926.jpg

20190920_122232.jpg

20190920_122047.jpg

20190920_122144.jpg

20190920_122214.jpg

20190920_123754.jpg

20190920_123849.jpg

20190920_123828.jpg

20190920_123815.jpg

Rossr you did a spectacular job on that rebuild considering what it looked like when you started. It looks totally natural and ready for another 40 years of service. 

Great job!  Now it is a family heirloom ready to be passed down to the next generation.  You can’t ask for much more than that. I am sure that your friend will be thrilled with it if he hasn’t already seen it. I know I would be.

That's a great save man! You did a good thing man :) 

Only a man who cares would do such a thing for a friend. You did indeed do a good thing.

8 hours ago, cardinal leather said:

Rossr you did a spectacular job on that rebuild considering what it looked like when you started. It looks totally natural and ready for another 40 years of service. 

Thanks!  Here's hoping for another 40!

8 hours ago, RemingtonSteel said:

Great job!  Now it is a family heirloom ready to be passed down to the next generation.  You can’t ask for much more than that. I am sure that your friend will be thrilled with it if he hasn’t already seen it. I know I would be.

Hoping to get it too him soon.  I coildnt resist posting on here since I knew alm usbleather folks could appreciate it.  Thanks for the kind words.

7 hours ago, battlemunky said:

That's a great save man! You did a good thing man :) 

Thank you!

3 hours ago, toxo said:

Only a man who cares would do such a thing for a friend. You did indeed do a good thing.

Appreciate the sentiment.  We only go along this path once.  When we are lucky enough to have good friends on the path with us it makes the journey better.  I enjoy being able.to preserve and create a memory or two along the way

Wow! Great job restoring!

Awesome work!!

Very nice.  What a thoughtful gift for your friend, that will become a family heirloom.

Great job, the choice of leather and colours make it look like they were always there. I am sure your work and research to get it right will mean a lot to your friend.

14 hours ago, Rohn said:

Wow! Great job restoring!

Thank you

12 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

Awesome work!!

Appreciate that!

12 hours ago, Scoutmom103 said:

Very nice.  What a thoughtful gift for your friend, that will become a family heirloom.

Kind words Thank you.

16 minutes ago, Seagrove59 said:

Great job, the choice of leather and colours make it look like they were always there. I am sure your work and research to get it right will mean a lot to your friend.

Thanks sea grove.  I know he will appreciate it

Huge WOW !!! What a fantastic restoration/rebuild, one to be very proud of.

Beautiful restoration! :)

24 minutes ago, Eddie Q said:

Huge WOW !!! What a fantastic restoration/rebuild, one to be very proud of.

Thanks.  My friend is very tickled with it.  It was a fun project 

4 minutes ago, mikesc said:

Beautiful restoration! :)

Thanks mike

Indeed, outstanding.  Did you do the basket weave repair also?

YinTx

54 minutes ago, YinTx said:

Indeed, outstanding.  Did you do the basket weave repair also?

YinTx

All of the leather covering I used to strengthen and repair the gaps. With leather glued and buck stitched through parts of the basket above and below problem areas .  So hopefully it holds up. I did some very casual research into re doing the basket weaves but didn't go that route and I think it wouldnt have been easy at least from my no knowledge of how it's done.   

Thanks for the kind words!