So I decided that I want some brogues, I thought I would share my process here, not because I am an expert (these will be my 3rd pair of shoes) but as any pointers / advice will be welcome

I started with making a pattern, (good old craft foam) I plan on the shoes being tri-colour, so the orange foam will be black, the green a light silver & the blue a dark silver.

Using the foam pattern I have cut veg tan calf (to be died black & silver) and some chrome tan I had in the right colour, all leather is about 1.2mm thick 

I was unable to find randing (not sure if this is the right word) so I made my own; I used a veg-tan belt blank I had, dyed it black & stitched with a 1mm waxed thread in a silver/grey colour) 

Inner soles are Texton board with a foam padding & micro-fiber lining

Shoe lining for the rear section is also made from the same micro-fiber material

I am waiting on delivery of a brogue punch (due in a week or so from Russia) to the do the brogue hole pattern

The next steps as I see them are: 

1. Punch brogue pattern
  2. Dye leather
  3. Sew heel cap to rear section
  4. Sew front sections together
  5. Cut front section lining 
  6. Form shoe

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

Very interesting, what sort of soles are you going to use andare you following instructions from any tutorial of just your own idea

Soles will be 2 layers of 3mm leather.

I did a shoe making course with “I can make shoes” for the basics, the rest I am making it up as I go :)

So while waiting for the brogue punch I have done samples for the dark silver colour, its equal parts eco-flo black, silver & pearl. 

The finish on the dye is streaky as i used a plastic brush for application; final will be better applied

I then did some test sewing to see what size thread I like the look of; I chose the 0.3mm thread - 2nd from left.

Happy with the stitches I have sewn the (dyed & burnished) tongue to the mid-upper section

image1.jpeg

image1.jpeg

Looking awesome so far! Keep em' coming!

So at last my new punch has arrived :)

Its a nice bit of kit - it has 5 punch tubes but they can be removed individually, so i can make it a 3 hole for curved lines etc !

Now to get all the bits punched. 

image1.jpeg

image1.jpeg

:popcorn:

this is fun... and looking like you know what you are doing, so far...but then, I've never made a shoe so...I'm here to learn and admire!

YinTx

17 hours ago, YinTx said:

:popcorn:looking like you know what you are doing, so far...

YinTx

It’s all a facade ;)

1 hour ago, HaloJones said:

It’s all a facade ;)

Pretty dang good one then.  still watching...  :)

YinTx

So all holes now punched time to dye the pieces 

image0.jpeg

On 10/14/2019 at 10:39 PM, HaloJones said:

So at last my new punch has arrived :)

Its a nice bit of kit - it has 5 punch tubes but they can be removed individually, so i can make it a 3 hole for curved lines etc !

Now to get all the bits punched. 

Hi HaloJones,

Can you give a link to where you bought the brogueing tool?

It looks quite a useful tool... I bet it saves lots of time

Thanks

alex

16 hours ago, alexitbe said:

Hi HaloJones,

Can you give a link to where you bought the brogueing tool?

It looks quite a useful tool... I bet it saves lots of time

Thanks

alex

Alex, 

I got it from chap in Russia, google translated this page & sent him a message - he speaks good English, paid via Paypal & arrived 3 wks later 

https://www.livemaster.ru/toolsandtoys

Only other place i have seen them is KS Tools in USA 

Parts all dyed, now for some assembly 

image0.jpeg

Thank you very much...

I am trying to make shoes too and it would be nice to be able to do simple broguing

Your shoes look like they are coming along nicely... I am folling this thread with interest.

Cheers

alex

Rear section of the upper is complete: heel cap & liner stitched on, lacing eyelets fixed

Liner is over-sized on the sides as it will be  sewn to the front section upper liner, the excess liner at the top is used to give a fixing point to the last.

image0.jpeg

Toe & front section sewn together & lined 

image0.jpeg

Uppers & liners sewn together - ready for lasting

image1.jpeg

Looking good!

Did you use pinking shears to make the gimping?

4 hours ago, arashikage said:

Looking good!

Did you use pinking shears to make the gimping?

Yes I did

So put the uppers on the last only to realise that the heel cap was way too low down and that 70% of it would be cut off!

so I un-picked the stitching & now to get some more of the thread used (the 30m I brought has just run out!) & try again..

Heel cap moved up & upper & liner lasted, now for the sole 

09EAC8FE-AF89-45D4-9734-6D980DA57818.jpeg

So I put soles on & took the shoes off the last, the results were not as I hoped, the shoes has come up very wide, but I know where I went wrong & will try again (photo shows unfinished shoe as I would normally trim the lining at the top & dye the sole & heel)

CFEC9843-E2B4-43AE-8F44-4BF38CB7C0DD.jpeg

908DBE5D-68C1-4ED9-92D4-F4F9EB6EBC02.jpeg

Could you post a picture side on of just the last?I am curious to see the shape that you are starting with. The quarters look to be too high on where they connect to your vamp and the backward angle of your heel counter also makes me think this. Also I think your top line pattern may be too high on your last giving you an oversized upper to try and deal with. I must congratulate you on your efforts so far and thank you for sharing your journey with us all on here.

Lasts as below, I think where I went wrong was the inner sole I made was too wide at the waist & I did not pull the upper tight enough on the last, 

D8FFB584-7D9F-4FE9-A9EC-FB4DBBD066A6.jpeg

Thanks ...the lasts look alright. When you do your toe 1st pulling you should see the heel counter cup in around at the top line. It appears to me that your curve has   not enough swell at the lower side compared to the top but that may be just the picture perhaps.

Thanks RockyA