Sign in to follow this  
Se2013

Advice on a machine

Hello! So I am wanting to make the switch to a machine from hand sewing. I mostly make wallets, book covers, bags etc..  I have a budget of around  $2,000.  I also would like to make guitar straps and belts. But I am not sure if the same machine will work for those. 

I realize that the thicker material would work best on a bigger machine and ideally you would have two machines to do both of these tasks. Given the budget, what would you all get and do?

Machines for medium work I am looking at:  CB-341 and the Techsew 2700 . I would like a cylinder head machine with a table attachment. I like to added flexibility of the cylinder head to get into tight spaces.

Any recommendations?

48 minutes ago, Se2013 said:

Hello! So I am wanting to make the switch to a machine from hand sewing. I mostly make wallets, book covers, bags etc..  I have a budget of around  $2,000.  I also would like to make guitar straps and belts. But I am not sure if the same machine will work for those. 

I realize that the thicker material would work best on a bigger machine and ideally you would have two machines to do both of these tasks. Given the budget, what would you all get and do?

Machines for medium work I am looking at:  CB-341 and the Techsew 2700 . I would like a cylinder head machine with a table attachment. I like to added flexibility of the cylinder head to get into tight spaces.

Any recommendations?

The two you mentioned are fine for what you described as your intended work. Note, that the 2700 is limited to a maximum thread size of v138 and uses a "standard" G size bobbin. It is a light duty walking foot machine. I use mine mostly with #69 and #92 thread because I have a CB4500 for heavier thread and thicker leather.

The CB341 is a heavier duty machine that has a larger M style bobbin and a hook that can handle #207 thread. The beefed up construction and bigger hook make it a good choice for a starter machine for projects 3/8 inch thick.