Sign in to follow this  
chapelstone

Rat's nest on Juki LS 1341

I recently bought a used juki LS1341. Got it from a commercial shop and it was set up and sewing fine. Moved to a new state, new shop, set back up and it sews about two stitches and thread starts gathering up underneath. I have never had this problem on any of my machines before. Anyone have a suggestion? 

My experience with bird nesting (thread gathering on the underside) is that it has more to do with bobbin thread tension issues then the top thread tension. A lot of times it can be as simple as the bobbin being place in the bobbin holder incorrectly so the bobbin thread is unwinding in the wrong direction. Done that more then once myself. The needle size and needle could also be a culprit. Needle maybe damaged / bent / have a burr / installed incorrectly or incorrect size for thread size being used. For needle size reference I would look at the Toledo Sewing Chart ( https://www.tolindsewmach.com/thread-chart.html ) to see what size needle should be used for your thread.

kgg

do you know of a good video on loading a bobbin into a juki LS1341

I am very familiar with my cobra 3 but this one has a bobbin case that goes in at the same time. Never loaded one like that before. 

thanks

When you first start sewing do you hold on to the needle thread for the first 3-4 stitches & are you sure the upper tension is threaded correctly,looping underneath is either too loose or upper thread threaded wrong.Make sure the thread is pulled down in-between the discs .

111w threading 001.jpg

Edited by CowboyBob

Thanks, I think I fixed it. I had never dealt with a bobbin case before. I loaded it like I do my big machine and that made it feed backwards. I turned it around and adjusted tension. It seems to be fine now. Thanks for you help.