AA3JW

Filling scrapes/scars in leather

A long long time ago, in a different life, I was in the military, and on a drill team. Needless to say we had to have spit shined boots. There was a compound that we used to fill scratches, and then we would polish over it. I can't for the life of me remember what it was. Does anyone have an idea what it could have been?

When I was in we used kiwi shoe polish and water. Built up the layers to fill in the scratches.

When I was in, I was same as  Kiwican , "Good ole KiWi Polish"

But I too remember some solution to filling gaps and cracks 

Maybe it was -  a furniture filler for sofas and the like ?  Sorry  Im not more help.

Seems to me we used some kind of floor polish maybe a Johnson and Johnson?  Been to many years ago but I remember using shoe polish and spit then just a thin coat on the tips of the paratrooper boot. Sorry probably not much help, I have tried pretty had to forget about spit polish and brass-o! 

Theres two types of boot polish I have used,   ' Nugget'  & Kiwi'  but currently using 'Kiwi Parade Gloss Prestige ' which is quite good . 

And when the tin is empty, I don't throw out the little hard bits in the corners of the tin, I use those as ' fillers' . 

On 1/31/2020 at 8:02 PM, Rhale said:

Seems to me we used some kind of floor polish maybe a Johnson and Johnson?

The  ' Johnson & Johnson '  liquid floor polish'  ( sometimes  traffic wax )  is what was applied  to the mold before making a fibre glass  pool,  it was stored in a ' hot box' so it went through the spray guns...... but that was in a past life  :)

HS