abrahamd2k

Recognize this knife tool?

I had this knife going 20+ years now. Does anybody seen or know where I can get a couple more of them? I can not remember where I bought it but I feel it was not a pricy tool. I can not make out the tool stamp/logo either.

I've used it roughly and it withstood every punishment I threw at it. I use it now for cutting and skiving leather and it does a wonderful job. Not knowing what the tensile is the steel it is a fair steel for cutting but the file does bite into the metal and I was wondering on trying to tempering the metal to see if I can harden it a bit more. Also, replace the plastic handle with a wooden one.

20190929_010505.thumb.jpg.b144ef208e47758f49e7fed76b137eba.jpg

looks like an old knife cut down an reground, I have done almost the exact same thing with a 1 1/2 inch thick bladed putty knife. If it works the way it is don't try to temper it you could easily make it to brittle or softer  because you don't know what the metal composition is , not all steels take a temper at the same temperature.

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

looks like an old knife cut down an reground, I have done almost the exact same thing with a 1 1/2 inch thick bladed putty knife. If it works the way it is don't try to temper it you could easily make it to brittle or softer  because you don't know what the metal composition is , not all steels take a temper at the same temperature.

I do remember buying the way it was. I just did not know what store I got it at. It was the shape of the blade that interested me. Notice the notch near the handle I think it was to pull nails out a board. Should mention the blade is 2.3 mm thick.

20190929_095031.jpg

Edited by abrahamd2k

At a guess I'd say "CK", but the a quick peruse of the current CK Tools catalogue doesn't bring up anything pertinent. Could be their interpretation of a hacking knife? :dunno:

Could that notch be a screwdriver blade?

It looks like a glazier's hacking knife that has been ground down. The notch was probably for removing small nails

Search The Net for 'leather paring knife' and 'kiridashi' and you'll find something similar

59 minutes ago, Matt S said:

At a guess I'd say "CK", but the a quick peruse of the current CK Tools catalogue doesn't bring up anything pertinent. Could be their interpretation of a hacking knife? :dunno:

After some searching, I tried CNK letters that lead me to only one image of it on Ebay. from there i got more info on it. "CNK 9x steel Russian Russia knife"

Still looking, there has to be more about this knife elsewhere.

CNK-High-Quality-9x-steel-Russian-Russia-knife.jpg.1702f4f6037520c37ddd3e02a247b9e7.jpgs-l1600.thumb.jpg.f0f26ac277225bfd32feb49d70e55c66.jpg

Edited by abrahamd2k

47 minutes ago, abrahamd2k said:

I do remember buying the way it was. I just did not know what store I got it at. It was the shape of the blade that interested me. Notice the notch near the handle I think it was to pull nails out a board. Should mention the blade is 2.3 mm thick.

20190929_095031.jpg

Interesting I've never seen a tool sold like that but I haven't seen everything lol I'm only 60. the notch is what led me to think it was a ground down knife it is called a sharpening choil,  Also it has the tang ground for a finger guard that appeared to be missing. It certainly looks like a useful tool whatever the origin.

4 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

Interesting I've never seen a tool sold like that but I haven't seen everything lol I'm only 60. the notch is what led me to think it was a ground down knife it is called a sharpening choil,  Also it has the tang ground for a finger guard that appeared to be missing. It certainly looks like a useful tool whatever the origin.

Well now I know it is Russian made. And the steel is high quality (Russian high quality). Do not know what '9X?" means? Going to do some research in Russian knives now. Nothing else to do this morning anyway.

1 hour ago, chrisash said:

Could that notch be a screwdriver blade?

I dont see how that could turn a screwdriver. :dunno:

44 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

This is an image I found on Ebay, this one was sold at 30 to 40$ and posted as rare. Now I know the maker (CNK) but can not find anything about them online. Still uncertain of what it was for. Had a plastic handle that broke one time and I fixed it. Think I will make two of them out of old files one day with opposite cutting sides. :)

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.3d32c0ed0e80a3663a5ff78c73be4b33.jpg

3 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

LOL yup this knife has many job titles in the past and putty knife is one of them too.

44 minutes ago, abrahamd2k said:

This is an image I found on Ebay, this one was sold at 30 to 40$ and posted as rare. Now I know the maker (CNK) but can not find anything about them online. Still uncertain of what it was for. Had a plastic handle that broke one time and I fixed it. Think I will make two of them out of old files one day with opposite cutting sides. :)

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.3d32c0ed0e80a3663a5ff78c73be4b33.jpg

Good find on that photo.

Although we might read that as a stylised "CNK", that logo is using Cyrillic script (rather than Latin, which we use). Unfortunately I don't read Russian. Know anyone who does?

I did a search on a Russian Image search engine https://yandex.com and this knife which is nicer than mine came up. Notice the similar style image below. Called American Tanto.

Another site selling one called it a "Boot knife" made in China under the brand 'SIBRTEH '
Another site source called it a Universal Knife. Also used for leather and fishing and many other materials.

Guess the one i got was a cheap knockoff of these brands. lol. Popular knife style for utility use in the East I guess.

Now I need to learn what the steels carbon reading is on the knife in Russian standards mean. This one says 3Cr13x and that symbol at the end. My knife would have read "HIgh-quality steel 9x (w symbol)"

Well had fun. Thank for the help and advise guys. I'm going to make a couple in this similar style out of some old files and a comfortable wooden handle to beat. I will post some pics when I am done.

Keep your dick in a pony vice :coffeecomp:

3654496.thumb.jpg.02ea759242707a4804b02b3ab6691c05.jpg

24 minutes ago, Matt S said:

Good find on that photo.

Although we might read that as a stylised "CNK", that logo is using Cyrillic script (rather than Latin, which we use). Unfortunately I don't read Russian. Know anyone who does?

It seemed it was CNK just like it reads. I was surprised that quite a bit of major Russian knife makers had their brand logos and writings on knives in plain English. But I understand what you mean.

Well, well, you live & learn. I stand corrected that it is not a modified hacking knife. That's what forums are for

I bought one of these a long time ago at Harbor Freight.

I found this with my other knives left in the kitchen drawer from my father. Unfortunately he isn’t with us any longer. It’s in amazing shape. Looks barely used