qcchewy

oil tanned bleeding issue

i'm working with an oil tanned leather for the first time, and accidentally left it stored with my veg. when i took out the veg i noticed that it was stained where the oil tanned touched it. Ok.. my mistake, but the last thing i want to happen is for my product to go to the customer and stain something of theirs. how do i keep this from happening? can i clean the leather, seal it??? is this a normal occurrence?

That is normal.  Many of the oils used in leather can spread/disperse/transfer when they are against something that is drier.  It happens with commercial goods too.

The typical suggestion (which definitely helps) is to use two coats of *diluted* Resolene--diluted 1:1 with water.  You can also use a good waterproofer (liquid silicone waterproofers are often considered good) before the Resolene to possibly make it harder for fluids to enter/leave the leather.

26 minutes ago, johnv474 said:

The typical suggestion (which definitely helps) is to use two coats of *diluted* Resolene--diluted 1:1 with water.  You can also use a good waterproofer (liquid silicone waterproofers are often considered good) before the Resolene to possibly make it harder for fluids to enter/leave the leather.

I use a variety of oil tanned leathers, but don't use Resolene. Do you think that it might take away from the suppleness of the oil tanned leather? That is one of its best features.