stiffbackjack

Singer 45 K 76

Well folks I finally bought a sewing machine.Its a singer 45 K 76 ser#EG209728.Has a clutch motor.Needle bar moves,I can turn flywheel by hand and no problems.I paid $50.00 for it.It was to cheap to pass up.I looked it up on line,it said machine was a sack darner.Someone had put a wax pot on it at sometime.My main question is,can this machine be rigged up to see leather?If it can be,what would be the best servo motor to use and what other parts would need to be installed.Thanks,Jack

Post some pictures please.

Remove the needle plate and check if the lifting cam frame to which the feed dog is attached is present.

It looks like this (91160) and rides on the bushing of the shuttle driver (98608) the shuttle driver needs a "bulge" on the bushing because it controls the up and down movement.

Most important is if the machine has the shaft that controls the back and forth movement of the feed and if it has a stitch length controller "device".

image.thumb.png.6bfed95dd08d747f93c8e78692cec9cd.pngimage.thumb.png.ec48ea78fc167e54ae05b4b520334a13.png

The 45K76 is a darner as you know.I have changed them years ago,there is a lot of parts need to change it & some of the holes aren't drilled & tapped as they should be.It's a a lot of work for a machine that might sew just under 1/2" & you have the markings of the feed dog on the bottomside of the leather since it doesn't have a walking foot.

Agree with Bob - however, I once had a pals 45K darner on my table and he asked the same thing. Fortunately his 45K (don´t recall subclass) had all necessary parts. I guess back then Singer or maybe a dealer took a 45K sewing machine of the shelf then just removed and added some parts an converted it into a darner. So I was able to convert it back into a sewing machines. But you never know - when the parts are not present it makes not much sense.

Thanks so much for the information guys.I knew if there was a way to change the machine,you guys would know how.For $50.00 bucks I didn't get hurt.I'll clean it up and learn how to get it working correctly.Thanks again,Jack