huskyresqr

1341 or 2750 or 3200

Hi All,

This is my first post after reading and learning from you all for over a year.....I do some sewing as a hobby - I'm retired - and it's been up until now just fabric, including canvas. So, now i would like to try sewing leather....nothing heavy, no saddles (I live on Long Island, NY), no holsters, etc. just wallets, card holders, small pouches, maybe a belt or two. I've spoken to some of the banner advertisers and they have been very helpful, including telling me that some machines would be too large (higher cost)  for my needs....which is very nice. So I am down to these three. I need some help making the final decision. If it helps, I have no issue with maintenance, I am an ex-Navy electrician and have done work as an airplane mechanic - and recently retimed a couple of old singers (201, 66) which by the way is how I got into sewing....these machines are amazing examples of mechanical engineering.

On a technical issue, when I was reading up on the 1341, it says the largest needle is a 180, but the largest thread is a 138. I thought a 180 could do 207?

Finally, for the webmaster..., if I type in the address without the www i.e., lea*****.net, I open up your INDEX, which I think you don't want. Do you?

...and thanks in advance for your help.

LI_Larry

3 hours ago, huskyresqr said:

Hi All,

This is my first post after reading and learning from you all for over a year.....I do some sewing as a hobby - I'm retired - and it's been up until now just fabric, including canvas. So, now i would like to try sewing leather....nothing heavy, no saddles (I live on Long Island, NY), no holsters, etc. just wallets, card holders, small pouches, maybe a belt or two. I've spoken to some of the banner advertisers and they have been very helpful, including telling me that some machines would be too large (higher cost)  for my needs....which is very nice. So I am down to these three. I need some help making the final decision. If it helps, I have no issue with maintenance, I am an ex-Navy electrician and have done work as an airplane mechanic - and recently retimed a couple of old singers (201, 66) which by the way is how I got into sewing....these machines are amazing examples of mechanical engineering.

On a technical issue, when I was reading up on the 1341, it says the largest needle is a 180, but the largest thread is a 138. I thought a 180 could do 207?

Welcome Larry.

Having owned exactly none of the machine models you've narrowed it down to I'll butt out of that part of the discussion. However I can help a little with the thread/needle sizing.

Thread and needle sizing isn't an exact science, as there are many variables which are practically unquantifiable -- exact thread diameter; thread bonding; variations in individual manufacturers' eye and groove sizes; material stickiness/griptivity; what angle you hold your tongue as you sew; they all play a part and aren't really measurable. Consider the size charts to be a good starting point and work from there -- it's not unusual to have to go up or down one or even two sizes from the "correct" needle size to get the results you want in any particular combination of thread and material. Therefore although the "usual" needle size for a V138/TKT20 thread might be nm140, nm180 would not be unheard of or "wrong" to use with this machine. What it probably means is that nm180 is the largest needle the feed-dog can pass and the needle-hook clearance is set to work with.

Also, it's often the case that you can put 1 size larger thread in the needle than the bobbin, such as a 207 in the needle and 138 in the bobbin in this case. This stretches a machine right to its limit and probably isn't a good idea to do regularly without adjusting the machine specifically for this task. Could be that your dealer is just being a little conservative.

Edited by Matt S

Most walking foot sewing machines have a hole in the moving feed dog that has to clear the moving needle, which may or may not be/stay centered in the hole. Further, the hook and its deflector shield, if present, has to clear the largest needle approved for use in the specs and still sew with a smaller needle. So,m a machine that is spec'd for a maximum #24/180 needle has a large feed dog hole for that needle to pass without making contact and enough clearance between the hook/deflector shield on one side and the side of the feed dog on the other side of the needle to avoid fatal contact. It doesn't mean that the mechanism will sew with #207 thread. It may or mayn't do so.

Hi Matt, Wiz,

Thank you both...very useful.....

Often the limitations for thread sizes in a particular machine are dictated by clearances in the bobbin basket, hook, and the space above the bobbin case tab where the thread needs to pass through on each stitch, in addition to the needle clearance factors previously described for compound feed machines.  Determine what you intend to sew and try out candidate machines to see if they work for your situation. You may eventually end up with several machines.  I have a Singer 20u33 for zigzag and bar tacks, a Singer 112W117 1/4 gauge triple feed, a 212W140 3/8 gauge compound feed with a puller, and a 30 inch 1/4 gauge Singer 320W194 triple feed chain stitch machine. The chain stitch machine thread and needle size are limited only by the size of the needle holes in the feed dogs and the holes in the loopers.