newmexican66

This extremely clean lighter case

Recently I've begun to be interested in making cases.  I absolutely love the examples I've posted, the one with the feather.  I'm fairly satisfied with mine, the one with the cherry blossoms, but I'm still not thrilled with it.  The other one is so clean and perfect  I really struggled with getting the fit as exact and the box stitching on such a small piece of leather on top.  If anybody has any advice on the stitching (like the techniques the maker of the feather one possibly used, if the holes were made by an awl or just barely poked through), measuring for form, etc. that would be fantastic.

70055512_442541586638939_2472281773015543842_n.jpg

s-l500 (1).jpg

s-l500 (2).jpg

s-l500 (3).jpg

s-l500.jpg

This is out of what I normally do but it looks like it is a completely different stitch.  Yours angles through the and out the top theirs is only visible from the side not the top.  Is it possible the leather top folds down to be sewn on the inside?

Todd

5 minutes ago, Hildebrand said:

This is out of what I normally do but it looks like it is a completely different stitch.  Yours angles through the and out the top theirs is only visible from the side not the top.  Is it possible the leather top folds down to be sewn on the inside?

Todd

It looks like a “plug” to me. Nice tight work.

18 minutes ago, Hildebrand said:

Todd

I have no idea!  I've tried to reverse engineer it by looking at the pictures and I can't figure it out.  There's another very similar one where it is stitched through the top.  The precision is insane, I'm wondering if there's a special technique to forming it that exactly to the lighter, maybe some type of wet moulding?  Also, the holes look like a tiny punch and not an awl to me, was wondering if anyone had experience with that.  It looks like some type of saddle stitch as the back stitch is visible around the hinge, but it's not making sense to me at this point.

0e026d5f6519c8d4dffce686249f39dd.jpg

Edited by newmexican66

I'm thinking that the holes may be laser burnt and that would help with cad spacing. The top holes would be probably just burn marked in a bit and used to line up to with an awl. The other one is I agree with @Mattsbagger and I think plugged. Stitched out flat and then glued. That is how I do my wedding ring boxes.

It looks to me the maker started with a piece for the plug is probably about a half an inch or so wider than what we see.  Then the plug piece is cut so that it creates the plug profile we see, but it isn't cut all the way through.  The bit outside of the plug is skived down so that there is a relatively thin edge/lip left.  Just make it so it is flexible enough to folded down nicely, and have enough thickness and width to take the stitches around the top.  Don't forget you need a strip that will be the side seam. Cut the corners out so it will fold nicely.

No need to punch holes for the plug part prior to sewing.  Mark/punch the holes in the side leather first. Glue it up on a form.  It should be easy to punch though with an awl or even your sewing needles.

Edited by Aven
Clarity

On the second one the stitching is flesh to edge.

I've never seen it on this forum but I used to make my knife sheaths that way.

The stitch on the front goes into the edge of the leather forming the top and the stitch comes out the top. You need to use a curved awl and curved needle to do it. The plug forming the top & bottom inserts needs to be at least 2mm thick, 3 to 4mm is better

On my sheaths I went from the back, thru the welt and then out through the edge of the top layer, thus no stitching was seen on the front of the sheath