DirtBagRobot

Info on lace making and braiding from start to finish

So I'm new to leatherworking and I started making a 12 braid belt but think I've done things a bit backwards. Figured this would be a good place to try and find info I haven't had any luck getting! Most things I've found are info on how parts are done (such as cutting and beveling lace, braiding certain styles, etc) but never anything from start to finish. 

Should I have dampened the hide first before cutting lace? 

Once the lace is cut I read it should be oiled and stretched? Should this be done before dyeing? Can I oil the lace, braid, then dip dye?

All the videos and books I've seen show how to do the braids but how do you finish a belt off? Haven't found anything on the pattern or process for closing the laces off. Also looking for anywhere that sells belt ends that aren't generic blanks, or the one version Tandy sells. 

Thanks for any info!

2 hours ago, DirtBagRobot said:

Most things I've found are info on how parts are done (such as cutting and beveling lace, braiding certain styles, etc) but never anything from start to finish. 

Then you will love this book: 

https://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Rawhide-Leather-Braiding-Bruce/dp/0870331612/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2T0N7YOKXVUU3&keywords=bruce+grant+encyclopedia+of+rawhide+and+leather+braiding&qid=1570059673&s=gateway&sprefix=bruce+grant+%2Caps%2C215&sr=8-1

71983JFTGHL._SX314_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

1 hour ago, LatigoAmigo said:

Then you will love this book: 

71983JFTGHL._SX314_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It’s got everything on making lace and weaving a belt? I was actually thinking about getting that after looking at his leather braiding one but didn’t want to spend $30 on something that is either just going to repeat the info in the one I already have and not anything I needed to know

7 minutes ago, DirtBagRobot said:

It’s got everything on making lace and weaving a belt?

It is not a "project book" with directions on how to make belts, but demonstrates many, many types of braiding, some of which lend themselves to making a belt. It does show how to make lace and has photos of many woven belts. Much of the focus of this 500-page book is cowboy horse gear from around the world, however, and spends quite a bit of time on rawhide braiding. It features some beautiful knots and handles, and includes whips and hatbands. 

It aided me very well when I started leather work 50 years ago, and continues to provide a source of inspiration. You might be able to find it used or in paperback, which would reduce the price, or even find it available for free in a public or college library. 

Ron Edwards' books on Australian Leathercraft and Bushcraft are great: he describes how to make braided stockmans belts.

10 hours ago, Alisdair said:

Ron Edwards' books on Australian Leathercraft and Bushcraft are great: he describes how to make braided stockmans belts.

Awesome! Google didn’t have anything that was exactly called that, but looks like he has a lot of books out with good info

Rawhide needs to be damp in order to cut easily with a knife. 

Veg tanned leather should be cut dry. 

Edited by Nyckname

4 hours ago, Nyckname said:

Rawhide needs to be damp in order to cut easily with a knife. 

Veg tanned leather should be cut dry. 

Thanks! Was looking everywhere for confirmation of that and wasn't able to find anything. I made my lace from veg tan and it just felt super brittle and dry so thought it might have needed to be damp first.

1 hour ago, Northmount said:

Right on, I'll have to take a look! I just ordered Grants book, might have to check the libraries near me to see if they have any of these.

22 hours ago, DirtBagRobot said:

I made my lace from veg tan and it just felt super brittle and dry so thought it might have needed to be damp first.

Grease the lace before braiding with it. 

1 hour ago, Nyckname said:

Grease the lace before braiding with it. 

That's not too far off... you might try braiding soap as it "serves as a lubricant so that when you pull a strand tight, it slides over and under the other strands and pulls tight clear up into what you’ve already braided." I found this recipe on a whip maker's website years ago. Bon appetit!

Easy Braiding Soap Recipe.pdf

2 hours ago, LatigoAmigo said:

That's not too far off... you might try braiding soap as it "serves as a lubricant so that when you pull a strand tight, it slides over and under the other strands and pulls tight clear up into what you’ve already braided." I found this recipe on a whip maker's website years ago. Bon appetit!

Easy Braiding Soap Recipe.pdf

I’ll have to give that a shot! I was just keeping the strands damp at first to help, then started using some saddle soap I had for my work boots after I saw it should be greased.

Drum stuffed Kangaroo hide cuts and braids easy and is real strong. That's what I use for bosal string, bodies and buttons.

On 10/2/2019 at 7:45 PM, DirtBagRobot said:

It’s got everything on making lace and weaving a belt? I was actually thinking about getting that after looking at his leather braiding one but didn’t want to spend $30 on something that is either just going to repeat the info in the one I already have and not anything I needed to know

I found a free downloadable copy of this book on the web 

Got Grant's book, it's awesome, and made a few belts. First few belts I made I cut the lace for, then I decided to try some of the premade stuff and bought 3mm kangaroo. The lace I cut is close to 3mm, but I based the thickness off my belts I wear for work and didn't account for the bought lace to come so thin. Is there thicker lace to buy or if I want thicker belts do I just keep cutting the lace myself? Supposedly kangaroo is pretty tough stuff so would a work belt made from roo lace even need to be as thick as a normal belt to hold up?

Thanks.

Bert.