coma44

questions for the machine experts

Add says "Chandler" but no model numbers any one here know what this machine actually is.  https://newhaven.craigslist.org/tls/d/new-milford-chandler-sewing-machine/6990386393.html

Chandler sewing machine

That is an Adler 67-373./  Chandler was a distributor for Adler in America for a number for years.  Good machine.

glenn

, and yeah.   Any chance of getting more pics of the needle bar area?  The take up lever guide is all bent to hell.  That needs to be removed and straighten.  Send more pics of the head from different anglws if you can.  The bobbin winder is missing the drive wheel, slide plates missing just so you know.  Pic of the aluminum model in back of the machine.

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher
grammar

The bent part is the take up lever cover that will easily bend back into place.  The REAL concern is the take up lever, and I can't see if it's there or not from the poor quality image even after blowing it up.  It may have snapped off.  New this item sells for over $280 so buyer beware unless you are looking for a parts machine.

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing

yep ..magnified waaay up..the take up lever is not there..broken off ? with maybe damage to other expensive parts when it broke ?

well to me it looks like the take up lever is there its in its upper position. But seems both slide plates are missing

What I would check is the condition of the timing belt. if it is brittle or cracked I would not buy the machine. You may get the belt for $30-50 or so but replacing it is a pain. I did that once for a friend and it was no fun. Replacing a timing belt on a Singer 111 is like a breeze compared with the Adler.

I just checked - it was approx 4 years ago:

00q0q_hJ8SXjrkscU_1200x900.jpg

Edited by Constabulary

I'm thinking like Gregg..that looks like the other part of the bent take up lever cover, to me looks like the bent cover was jammed back into the take up lever slot..or, it might be the take up arm, but..without better photos, or someone actually seeing it "in the flesh"..no way to know for sure..if the only thing wrong is a bent cover ( and the take up lever is there and not damaged ) could be a good deal..Looks like the two bed covers ( bobbin / hook cover and the one from the other side of the needle area ) are also missing.

Try to make sure it has a rubber timing belt in it because the cloth ones aren't available anymore,you can convert it to rubber but you'll need new top & bottom pulleys to match it cost over $300.00.

On 10/5/2019 at 12:29 PM, CowboyBob said:

Try to make sure it has a rubber timing belt in it because the cloth ones aren't available anymore,you can convert it to rubber but you'll need new top & bottom pulleys to match it cost over $300.00.

I have at least one machine with this issue, and it has a cloth timing belt as  well with no replacement.  Otherwise bulletproof machine.

So you need to find the right guy able to make a resonable cloth timing belt. That is the difficult part.

Yea not sure I want to touch it. Seems like a money n time pit