Hardrada

Yet Another Nigel Armitage Pouch Project

Having bought Mr Armitage's pouch template pack recently, and after making a few round pouches, I decided to experiment with his oblong template and change measurements to fit my purpose: a pipe pouch with inner attachments for a lighter, pipe cleaners, and tamper. I went with a different closure, as I was afraid the glove snaps would open by themselves if someone jam packed the pouch. I enlarged the height to 7" so that it could fit a long-shanked Canadian pipe.

Pipe_pouch--01.thumb.jpg.b32fd9e9d17159cbca5f549208c06603.jpg

Pipe_pouch--02.thumb.jpg.43868267628e66d74a8f05055edcd992.jpg

Pipe_pouch--03.jpg.82fe7250a20bc252a2c0af47e8df5fd8.jpg

Pipe_pouch--04.jpg.b3be2df97565c622b531d2bf4c2b6285.jpg

Next time, I'm  thinking about bringing the belt loop down a bit so that its bottom stitches can do double duty and hold the bottom of the lighter pocket as well

Public thanks to Mr Armitage for providing such a great resource in his template packs.

Edited by Hardrada

Nigel has helped more people than he knows.  I'm glad he checks in here from time-to-time.  He will likely see your post.  It is right to give thanks where they are due.

I owe whatever proficiency I've developed with stitching to Nigel's training videos.  I strive to get better and better so as to not make him look bad!  :lol:

That's really nice work!  I too owe a lot to Nigel for what skills I have at hand stitching.  And thanks for the tip on the pouch pack. I didn't know about that one but I think I need to get it.

That is awesome Hardrada.
This is the very reason I do videos like this so people can adapt them and make them their own as you have done here.
And thank you, Ray and Bob, for your kind words.

Nigel

6 hours ago, Dangerous Beans said:

That is awesome Hardrada.
This is the very reason I do videos like this so people can adapt them and make them their own as you have done here.
And thank you, Ray and Bob, for your kind words.

Nigel

Thank you kindly, Mr Armitage.

Ever since, I've followed your advice in the pack and made my own modifications. Since the leather was all the same weight, the gussets were deforming the front and back panels, so I've started using a race to gouge a channel on the gussets behind the stitch line to prevent that. I also decided to go with a 3-piece gusset build instead of the single gusset leather band, and I'm kinda proud to present my pipe pouch Mk. II:

_MG_9310.jpg

Edited by Hardrada

Excellent improvement :thumbsup: I would only think to add a little extra support piece onto the back of the front flap that finishes just short of the top front edge, Next one maybe?

8 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Excellent improvement :thumbsup: I would only think to add a little extra support piece onto the back of the front flap that finishes just short of the top front edge, Next one maybe?

Hmm? You've any pictures of something similar?

I've got modify the pattern again anyway, since I've another commission for one of these but the client wants magnetic closure instead of the vintage hasp one.

3 hours ago, Hardrada said:

Hmm? You've any pictures of something similar?

I've got modify the pattern again anyway, since I've another commission for one of these but the client wants magnetic closure instead of the vintage hasp one.

All I am trying to say is that an attached lining piece will stiffen the lid front and help to stop it from going all curly in use. I don't myself generally get to design for plain leather products (non exotics) and therefore generally have to do full leather linings but that does not escape the need to stiffen the lid section anyway. I will put a few pics below showing how I do the lid flap stiffening normally if that helps.

I picked this bag as it has a single magnetic closure in under the brand fitting-

DSC04533_resize.JPG

Note that the lid in this case must be able to stay stiff enough to take the constant opening and closing over a wide area -

DSC04523_resize.JPG

Inside showing the closure -

DSC04521_resize.JPG

Showing the stiffener and foam lining that gets attached to the croc-

DSC05405_resize.JPG

This one shows on the far right the leather lining that is oversized to start with. It gets glued and attached after the handle is stitched on and then trimmed down afterwards and edge coated.

DSC04481_resize.JPG

I am only suggesting to attach a liner to the inside of the lid flap on yours. I recommend that this liner be attached so that it is a little tight going across to keep the flap pulling inward very slightly. This can also be done as an inner lid pocket if you prefer.

12 minutes ago, Hardrada said:

Capital, Aussie! Much obliged.

:specool:

Most welcome and I hope it helps sometime.:)

These are great looking pouches, @Hardrada! I was just grumbling about my pipe pouch this weekend, it’s a cheap drawstring affair I’ve had since before I got into leatherworking. Told my wife, “if only I knew someone who could make me a nice leather pouch!” :-) I’m sure I’m not the only one who puts off these basic projects for oneself.