Tyra

First SD case

Hi! 

Made my first SD case yesterday. But I was wondering, is it possible to hide the stitching on the outside? I'm not sure if I like seeing it when the case is closed. Maybe it's just me idk.

Thanks!

Schermafbeelding 2019-10-05 om 15.34.25.png

Schermafbeelding 2019-10-05 om 15.34.16.png

Schermafbeelding 2019-10-05 om 15.34.06.png

Nice. Looks functional. Only thing is do is add some type of closure like a snap, Sam brown stud, or strap closure. But that's not required. 

You can't hide the edge seam stitches unless you do a glue only construction. Which would work ok if you really wanted to. 

The stitches in the center you can hide by lining the case. Basically you do what you already did, just stitch the pouches to the grain side. Then glue the flesh side of that piece to the flesh side of another piece of leather and stitch around the perimeter. 

You get a nicely lined case and no visible outer stitching except the perimeter seam. 

Wot he says.   :17:

Another idea. Take the SD cards out. Wet the centre of the case, fold over to find the centre line, gouge a shallow trench along that centre line. If you don't have a gouge use something to press a good hard line on the centre line. Still being wet, fold over again and then tap the fold with a mallet [not a steel hammer]. Let it dry and the case will have a preferred fold to it

One approach is to make the back quite long, like a flap.  It can then wrap around the entire case, sort of like a tool roll or big trucker wallet.

Another approach is to make it with a third piece of leather that is stitched only around the edge.

I like the stitching showing, but would use a contrasting colour to the leather, so that the stitching is prominent and a focal point

20 hours ago, Tyra said:

I'm not sure if I like seeing it when the case is closed. Maybe it's just me idk.

Yep its just you .....it looks good as is and nice any minimal in just a good way.:thumbsup:

Same opinion. It’s just you :)  it looks like a hand made leather case. Nicely done and looks great. 

Neat! What leather did you end up buying for this?

I can't see your edge work on those photos. Did you bevel and burnish or did you just leave it plain?

Short of adding another layer of leather on the "outside", I don't think there's another way to hide the stitching. You can perhaps make a sleeve similar to a slip in sheath for spectacles - that will also secure the sd cards better (looks like you didn't use any form of snap or other closure on the case).

If you're concerned about the stitching you can use 0.6 mm Tiger thread, or you can try to do something artistic with it that makes it a feature instead of an 'eyesore', such as using thread of a complementary colour.

Thanks everyone for the tips & comments! Will try them out next time!

Made a small version as well this evening haha, I think I'm addicted already.

71891268_3338341246190931_7837001192646377472_n.jpg

1 hour ago, Hardrada said:

Neat! What leather did you end up buying for this?

I can't see your edge work on those photos. Did you bevel and burnish or did you just leave it plain?

I used 2mm Veg tanned leather from Ebay! (this one) 

And yes, I did bevel and burnish it, it did wonders to the final piece!

Edited by Tyra

34 minutes ago, Tyra said:

Thanks everyone for the tips & comments! Will try them out next time!

Made a small version as well this evening haha, I think I'm addicted already.

71891268_3338341246190931_7837001192646377472_n.jpg

:clapping:

Now you need to make a version for CompactFlash, or a combo for both types. Sell them to your fellow photographers!  :thumbsup:

12 hours ago, Hardrada said:

:clapping:

Now you need to make a version for CompactFlash, or a combo for both types. Sell them to your fellow photographers!  :thumbsup:

Ha love the idea! :) 

I'm currently looking into buying/making a stamp to put some kind of logo on my creations!