Stewbeans22

Oil tanned edge finish

So as of lately I’ve been making some wallets with some oil tanned leather I purchased. 

What do you guys recommend for edge finishing?

I have a jar of Tokonole, which I absolutely love for my designer leather and veg tanned,  but I am not really pleased with the edge it leaves on the oil tanned.

I have since tried using thread wax. First I put Tokonole and slick with my ebony slicker in my Dremel, then rub some thread wax and run the dremel again. Afterwards I rub it down with my wood slicker. 

I will be getting a piece of bees wax and a block of glycerine soap to try next. I am also going to get a piece of canvas to slick with. 

Any thoughts or ideas/procedures you guys use are greatly appreciated. 

-Stew

I was about to post this same question. I just got some oil tanned leather to make wallets with and am finding little info on finishing the edges. I wonder why there hasn’t been any responses yet. 
Might be time to do some original R&D and share the results ourselves :D

On 10/5/2019 at 11:23 AM, Stewbeans22 said:

What do you guys recommend for edge finishing?

38 minutes ago, Zachary said:

Might be time to do some original R&D and share the results ourselves :D

This topic has been addressed quite a few times on this site, but the sad fact is that the edges of oil-tan and/or chrome-tan leathers do not "finish" like veg-tan edges do.

I have tried a variety of finish processes and have found Tokonole to be my best choice. There are edge paints and hot irons available to accomplish a decent edge, but you'll find that different hides and different weights require different solutions. 

So I have been on the “R&D” path lately. To be honest I like Tokonole on all my leather edges. 

I have recently started using Fiebings glycerin soap and to be honest I’m really liking it. 

I do the Tokonole first and use my ebony slicker in my dremel then being as the Tokonole has the leather moist I rub the soap bar a couple times and then use my wood hand slicker and rub the hell out of it. 

as litago said it doesn’t finish like veg but it does smooth down the fibers and hold it together.