Looks good but we have a tradition here. We like to see both sides of the project in order to really see what is going on, and we like one pic with the knife out, beside the sheath, because we like knives! :)

Also, it doesn't hurt to give the specs on your project... weight of the leather, color used, finish, etc. Not at all necessary, but it is appreciated, I think. I appreciate it, maybe others do too.

nick

Edited by wizard of tragacanth

Yeah, I mean, how do we know it isn't just some broke off piece of mop handle or something? 

Any pics of the back? Looks like your stitching is pretty neat.

Also for what it’s worth I forged the knife that’s in the sheath! Thank you for the compliments! All criticism is appreciated I know I’m gonna suck for a while 

Right on! I have a few files I've broken the temper on that I've been waiting to turn into knives. Its a lot of effort I just haven't found time to give it.

Love those mosaic pins too dude. Looks great!

Edited by battlemunky
Eye know tipe gud.

Thanks. Just getting started with the knife work as well. I screwed up a few times before I finally completed a decent knife and it’s disheartening as hell bc of the time and effort put in. I think my knife failures contributed to me wanting to pursue leatherwork instead of forging 

Oh... I like that knife. The knife and sheath make a good combo... kinda primitive/barbarian looking. I like that. I'm glad you showed the knife! I really, really like it.

nick

Thanks dude I appreciate it. Lots of mistakes but I’m getting better and I guess that’s what’s important just starting out. Thanks again 

Great first effort on both the holster and the sheath. I'm guessing you learned a LOT on the first sheath. I'd suggest taking what you've learned, and do another identical one, implementing your new-found knowledge and experience. You'll be amazed at the improvement! 

The knife is rockin', too.

Jeff 

Again awesome advice! I have no mentor so all the information I’m getting from guys on this site has been great. Thank you for the compliments. I look at my work compared to your guys stuff on here and I’m so envious!  Knock out a brand new identical sheath just to compare and critique. Sounds simple but makes a lot of sense. Thanks again Jeff 

One of the best bits of advice I have seen on here is to make 10 of something relatively simple. I did 10 simple wallets and the difference from the first to the 10th was really quite stark and the level of quality of everything seemed to go up after then as well.

I think I learned that from @bikermutt07 posting that he learned it from someone else. I could be mistaken but it was solid advice either way.

I'm not suggesting you do that, but as recommendations go, it ain't a bad one. 

First off great job on making your own knife and sheath.  You should be very proud and happy with your accomplishments! 

Dont quit.  Each mistake and misstep is a building block to making better sheaths and knives.  You will never stop learning while you are making. 

I have made over 100 knives now north of 130 I think.  I am amazed looking back at my first one the difference and the improvement.  That being said I still make mistakes or at least new ones and sometimes old ones.  But it is always worth it to create. Knife making is how I found leatherwork cause I needed sheaths and now I do more leatherworking than knives. 

Ok some thoughts on the sheath,  it appears to have a welt which is good. Keeps the balde from slicing the thread directly.  In a pouch sheath I like them to sit in a little deeper.(Paul Long who is an expert sheath maker inbeliwve recommends 2 fingers worth sticking out the top of a sheath) I always worry about them coming out If you are bending over etc.  The belt loop on the rear looks like a snap. If it is I assume it's so you can just slip behind the belt and snap it on.  I wonder if it could unsnap and fall off?  Other possibilities are to sew the belt.loop in place prior to sewing up the sheath or riveting it in place.  I cant quite tell but the stamping looks like a basket weave stamp.  It would appear to be overlapped on both posts.  If that was intentional that's fine.  However if you wanted a true basket weave, you stamp one then drop down and overlap one post, stamp then back up and overlap one post. Lot of tutorials out there on this site you tube etc.  I have a sheath I did the basket weave all wrong.  Was real proud of it till I realized the error lol....but I learned.  Hope you dont think I'm being overly critical just thoughts on how to improve.  

Folks on here are super helpful and it's a lot of the reason my leather work has improved.  

Enjoy the journey

Ross 

Ps I second the thought of make another and see the improvement!

That’s great advice. Ill try to knock some small stuff out now and compare the difference. Ross thanks I appreciate the encouragement! There is a welt in the sheath but I started the basket weave and it was horrible so I just kinda tried to blend it but as you can see turned out very sloppy. After making the sheath I hated the button snap on the back so I super glued it together. I definitely  don’t think you’re being over critical this is exactly what I need and why I joined this site! Already learning a lot from you guys on here. Thanks again . Also picked up this hand crank converted singer what are everyone’s thoughts on there work with this particular sewing machine? It’s a 15-91 1950s model.The hand crank makes it cruise through even really thick leather. Certain projects hand sewn or every project sewing machine? Thanks guys 

A617831D-43CB-4E0D-AAED-15E8B4279119.jpeg

On 10/8/2019 at 4:20 PM, battlemunky said:

One of the best bits of advice I have seen on here is to make 10 of something relatively simple. I did 10 simple wallets and the difference from the first to the 10th was really quite stark and the level of quality of everything seemed to go up after then as well.

I think I learned that from @bikermutt07 posting that he learned it from someone else. I could be mistaken but it was solid advice either way.

I'm not suggesting you do that, but as recommendations go, it ain't a bad one. 

Yep, I learned that from @NVLeatherWorx. Unfortunately, I had been stumbling along doing one offs for about 2 years already.