superpacker

Belt Keeper Stitching

When I make a belt keeper, I normally skive both ends so they overlap. But I’ve also seen it where both ends are cut to precisely bump up against each other or kiss, and are stitched in place, Usually with some type of “X” Stitching. Does anyone know what type of knot to use here to finish this off?

Edited by superpacker

3 hours ago, superpacker said:

both ends are cut to precisely bump up against each other

Thats what I do .

When I'm making a nice fancy belt, tooled, hand stitched etc. , I stitch my keepers just like you said, with a ' cross', but with my plain belts, and in multiples ,  I staple them  . Saves a lot of time. 

HS 

How do you Stitch them?

Or rather how do you do the cross stitch? I’m more concerned with how to end the crossed threads, because obviously there’s nothing to back stitch on like a traditional row saddlestitching

Used to stitch, . . . went to staples, . . . punch holes, . . . bend over with pliers, . . . no problem.

May God bless,

Dwight

Yes, guess it is just as easy as typing a knot!  :) Thank you Hardrada! And Dwight I DO like that idea in this instance of stapling and just using pliers. Didn’t think of that. Two great solutions!

4 hours ago, Dwight said:

Used to stitch, . . . went to staples, . . . punch holes, . . . bend over with pliers, . . . no problem.

I stick a scrap of heel bend through the keeper, shoot the staples through with a staplegun, pull the spacer out, then bend the ends over with needle nose pliers. 

16 hours ago, superpacker said:

Yes, guess it is just as easy as typing a knot!  

Everyone has a different way of doing it, but, at the ends of the leather piece for the keeper, there 4 holes ( 2 at each end), butt up to each other >:II:< .  A  single needle, a length of thread with a knot at the end and I start sewing from the inside . When I'm finished, its like = < that on the outside, but on the inside, its like X  < that,and ,  with the needle still attached to the thread,  I pass the needle under the centre of the X a few times  and  just tie a  double knot pulling it tight in the centre  of the X<   and snip the thread . 

Hope that helps  :)

HS 

Edited by Handstitched