Sign in to follow this  
EmilK

Singer 18-3 stitch length problem

Hi Everybody!

For same time I have in possess next Sewing machines: mechanical Adler 30-15, Pfaff 24, Singer 18-3 and electrical Pfaff 463. I didn´t buy anyone I just got them – abandoned and prepared for junkyard because they where (except Pfaff 463) worn out and in non working condition. I didn´t know anything about these machines, but after some time watching them, and try to find out, how do they work I became more boldy and start to clean them, replace parts such as bolts, nuts, springs, needles, what can I find on internet for sale. Finaly all machines work fine for years.

Recently Singer 18-3 won´t make stitches longer than 1mm (or point to point – maybe even less than 1mm) regardless the position of stitch length lever UP or DOWN. Sometimes the stitch length lever even bounces down.

Since I couldn´t find out what is wrong I completely disassemble Singer 18-3, cleaned up, oiled the machine and put it together. But still won´t make stitches longer than 1mm.

When I clean the machine I find out that Forked Connection (part nr. 3037) is pretty worn up (see pictures) and maybe this is the reason for not stitching longer than 1mm. I also find out that Wheel Driver (part nr. 6498) is pretty worn up.

Now I wonder what to do:

1.    Should I find somewhere another Singer 18-3 and use those parts, because I dont´t belive I can find them on internet.

2.    Is somebody try to fix those parts and if it is how to do it?

3.    Or there are some other settings I should try, or something else?

THANK YOU very much for your help.

Emil, from Slovenia

A-P1020988-2.JPG

B-P1030005-2.JPG

B-P1030006-2.JPG

A-P1030025-2.JPG

A-P1030026-2.JPG

Hi There, what are the teeth like on the feed dog wheel? #6497.

that would have been my 1st question too other than that I unfortunately never have touched a Class 18 machine so I don´t think I can help.

55 minutes ago, jimi said:

Hi There, what are the teeth like on the feed dog wheel? #6497.

Hi,

Since I don´t have anything to campare and I don´t know the tolerance I will post some pictures. Visually seem to me they are pretty worn, maybe they are not.

If I compare (EVEN IF THIS IS NOT THE PROPER COMPARSION) the feed dog wheel and how much the wheel is turning backward or forwared between the Pfaff 24 and Singer 18-3 it seem much better on Pfaff 24.

And if this is the case (worn feed dog wheel) what should I do??

Thanks,

Part 6497_P1020788.JPG

Part 6497_P1020998.JPG

Part 6497_P1020999.JPG

49 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

that would have been my 1st question too other than that I unfortunately never have touched a Class 18 machine so I don´t think I can help.

Hi,

Thank you so much anyway,

Emil

From the picture it is hard to see, i do not think you will find another one easily. if the teeth are very blunt then that is most likely the problem, you could try to file them a little and see if you can get a little more point to them but it could be hardened steel. A good small triangular file might get them a little sharper again to try and see if that is the problem. I am not familiar with the 18-3 feed dog setup, just the 18-2 but that is adjustable and like the normal feed dogs so it could be something else that is worn on your machine?? 

1 hour ago, jimi said:

From the picture it is hard to see, i do not think you will find another one easily. if the teeth are very blunt then that is most likely the problem, you could try to file them a little and see if you can get a little more point to them but it could be hardened steel. A good small triangular file might get them a little sharper again to try and see if that is the problem. I am not familiar with the 18-3 feed dog setup, just the 18-2 but that is adjustable and like the normal feed dogs so it could be something else that is worn on your machine?? 

Hi,

Thank you very much.

Emil

B-P1030005-2.JPG.6f29cbc31147123bf8f98e756969c56e.JPG

Hi,

This part is a problem. I made a new part for my 18-3 and after that I got  4-5 mm stich length.

singer 18-3.gif

Hello,

On 10/11/2019 at 3:59 AM, EmilK said:

Hello Emil,

My question is, How did you remove the feed forked connection from your singer 18-3? Could you explain how you did it step by step? Or maybe link a video? I have a singer 18-3 that will not stitch past 1 mm. I would appreciate help with this.

Thank you.

Hello Evilla!

Is it too late to post video, since you wrote me 6 months ago. And if is not to late I still have to make video.

Emil

Be careful when you oil that you don't get oil in the groove that grabs the wheel or it could cause it to slip shortening your stitch length.

On 6/6/2020 at 7:41 AM, EmilK said:

Hello Evilla!

Is it too late to post video, since you wrote me 6 months ago. And if is not to late I still have to make video.

Emil

Hello, 

No it is not too late. I would appreciate a video if you could. Also, do you know where to obtain parts for this machine?

Thank you

On 6/14/2020 at 1:09 AM, Evilla said:

Hello, 

No it is not too late. I would appreciate a video if you could. Also, do you know where to obtain parts for this machine?

Thank you

Some hints for disassemble singer 18-3 sewing machine you can find in attachment. Till next time. Emil

HINTS FOR DISASSEMBLE SINGER 18-3 SEWING MACHINE.pdf

I have disassembled singer17-1 and 18-2. According to my analysis, your problem should be the worn part. You can try to weld the notch and then polish it to restore it.

singer 18-3.JPG