Here are a couple pictures of my latest holster, this one is for a friend who wanted to be able to take it off his belt without undoing the whole belt since he is left handed so I used 3 snaps instead of sewing the loop.  Things are finally coming together.  I learn something with each build.  This one taught me to use contact cement not rubber cement for my edges, couldn't figure out why I always had a slight gap after gluing, sewing and sanding.  Turns out the rubber cement was thick enough to notice.  The die is supposed to be Fieblings Saddle Tan but I think my applicator must have gotten used for a darker die and put in the wrong bag, this is way darker than Saddle Tan. As always comments and criticism welcome.

Todd

IMG_2381.jpg

IMG_2383.jpg

IMG_2387.jpg

IMG_2388.jpg

Edited by Hildebrand
more info asked

I did oil it but it was dark before I oiled.  I am pretty sure I screwed up with my die applicator.

Todd

Was the saddle tan the Pro Dye? I usually cut the Pro Dye with denatured alcohol 7:1 alcohol:dye. I know it sounds like a very dilute mixture, but it works to keep the tan color very true to saddle tan. It does require several coats, but does not get too dark. I've heard some say to cut the Pro Dye a minimum of 1:1 as a matter if course. Nice work, by the way.

Very nice work.

Those layers do look nice and clean. What brand of contact cement  did you use?

nick

Edited by wizard of tragacanth

I use the Renia Aquilim.  I really like it since I can use it in the house.

@SLP it is the pro die, I am pretty sure it was my operator error that caused the color to be off. Worst part is dad saw this holster and thinks he may want one that color. 

Todd

Update,

I delivered this holster to my friend last night.  The 3 snaps to hold the belt loop is a fail.  The loop keeps constant pull on the snaps to open so any little pull lets them come open.  I should have used the pull the dot snaps but didn't because I thought trying to get it to snap or unsnap off the belt would be to cumbersome with the directional snap.

Just wanted to put this out there incase someone else was thinking of doing one this way so you could avoid my mistake.

Todd

Thanks for sharing this info. This is sad news. I wondered how they would work out. They sure look nice.

Do you think pull-the-dot snaps are the solution? Are you going to try them?

To the best of my memory, it seems that when snaps are used, they always loop over, and around, then snap on the front.

I really liked the looks of the design, sorry it didn't work out. Let us know what you do with this.

nick

Wizard,

I am not sure what route I am going to take, the backs of the snaps are embedded as this is a lined holster so any replacements would be exposed.  I may try to drill the snaps out then replace them with pull the dot snaps with plastic covers on the inside.  It also may be chalked up as a lesson learned and a replacement constructed.

Todd

It's called experience, and we all learn from it. The idea was good, just didn't work so well in reality (unfortunately). I made a copy of the holster used by Steve McQueen in The Magnificent Seven, which has a similar style of loop but I used Chicago screws to secure the flap. Glad I didn't try snaps or I would probably have had the same issue!

Good looking holster Todd!

Sorry to hear the snaps are being a problem, I'd have thought 3 line 24's would have worked fine. I wonder if you can make it OK by casing the fold and hammering it down a little then letting it dry. Doing so would remove the constant pressure the fold is placing on the snaps and may be enough to make it work. Drilling out the female part of the snap and replacing with PTD's may also help. Another option would be to punch 2 - 1/4" holes clear through the holster (use a wood block and scrap piece of leather to punch into) about 5/8" apart then run a piece of lace through them and put half a bleed knot in it. The lace would back up the snaps but could still be undone if wanted. Anyway, we all run into unintended problems. I'm sure you'll find a fix. Again, it's a great looking holster! Nice job.

All the best, Josh

Thanks Josh,

Casing and flattening is one option we talked about when I delivered it and I think thats where I will start.  I like your idea of a lace to act as a backup.

Thanks,

Todd