chuck123wapati

what is handmade?

On 10/11/2019 at 5:39 PM, chuck123wapati said:

Just wondering what the thoughts are on "handmade" . Is sewn on machine considered handmade or does it disqualify the item since most factory made stuff is sewn on a machine. How about machine cut. What are the parameters for calling your work handmade?

For me when I am looking to purchase something handmade I want quality workmanship using quality materials. For me handmade is something made by hand. But you got to be willing to pay for it.

I equate back to my grandfather (master tailor) days the difference. He would call some of the other tailors in the family, factory tailors. Yes they could do some nice work but were lacking on some skills. They relied predominately on patterns and machines to provide items that would fit a range of individuals. A master could do that but also had the knowledge and ability to create an article to fit a individual perfectly from scratch with nothing more then scissors, tape, caulk and thread. The difference in workmanship is amazing just compare your off the rack $100 suit with a $5000 suit.  

kgg

2 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

Its very subjective to the circumstance being applied, same here there is a ton of 
"homemade" crap as well as artisan, retro, etc. I my lil town also. Do you consider your work to be handmade? If so why or why not?

To answer your question, I guess technically, I could consider my harness handmade.. the only purchased items that I haven't made myself are the buckles, hames and metal ornaments/hardware. I make the winker plates myself- dishing them out with a ball peen hammer on anvils, stuff my own cruppers, make my own wired stays, etc. I have never thought to name it as such though... I don't think the majority would really care and quite frankly, it's my fault if I don't have access to "modern" equipment. I prefer doing it "my way" because I don't care for clunky, coarse looking factory  produced harness parts.

With out looking in a Websters,  I think hand crafted means it is a one of a kind piece made by a person

the tools used are of no matter.

On the other Hand,  [pun intended]

Hand made, brings visions of a sweat shop with 35 sewing machines buzzing away...armed guard in the back ground flies buzzing around  Hearing a dog bark  Su Chin looks up from the sewing machine and sees the sun rays  stream down to the dusty  floor . She was 5 years old when she was first forced ........................

55 minutes ago, Alexis1234 said:

To answer your question, I guess technically, I could consider my harness handmade.. the only purchased items that I haven't made myself are the buckles, hames and metal ornaments/hardware. I make the winker plates myself- dishing them out with a ball peen hammer on anvils, stuff my own cruppers, make my own wired stays, etc. I have never thought to name it as such though... I don't think the majority would really care and quite frankly, it's my fault if I don't have access to "modern" equipment. I prefer doing it "my way" because I don't care for clunky, coarse looking factory  produced harness parts.

Nothing wrong with that at all.  I think your stuff is handmade also and I agree most folks in the horse world or ranching such as here in Wyoming don't give a squat about it being handmade as most of the them have to hand make , repair, or re-invent just to get by a day in their line o work. Most of my work, knife making ,carpentry, and leatherwork all are done with hand tools or minimal power tools. 

42 minutes ago, Frodo said:

With out looking in a Websters,  I think hand crafted means it is a one of a kind piece made by a person

the tools used are of no matter.

On the other Hand,  [pun intended]

Hand made, brings visions of a sweat shop with 35 sewing machines buzzing away...armed guard in the back ground flies buzzing around  Hearing a dog bark  Su Chin looks up from the sewing machine and sees the sun rays  stream down to the dusty  floor . She was 5 years old when she was first forced ........................

LOL note to self don't apply for a job in Mississippi and don't buy handmade stuff from Walmart. So others would say its a cop out to use handmade or in your definition handcrafted because you cant make all of your stuff exactly the same, its one of a kind, so your products aren't as good of quality. See the problem I see yet? I agree handmade items aren't necessarily all made with hand tools nor are they made with all hand made basic materials. But lets say for example is it handmade if you use a sewing machine and hand tool a belt  but is it then not handmade if you use a stamping wheel for the tooled design but hand stitch it? I think most consumers would see the difference in the design and would say that the machine stamped belt was not handmade but the process only differs in which part of the belt was machine made right?

semantics

Look it 

Although there is no definite difference between handmade and handicraft, there is a slight difference in their usage. The term handmade can be used to describe a product made by assembling already manufactured products while handicrafts are typically made completely by hand or with the use of simple tools.

HANDMADE

[han(d)ˈmād]

ADJECTIVE
  1. made by hand, not by machine, and typically therefore of superior quality.
    "his expensive handmade leather shoes"

handcrafted
    [ˈhan(d)ˌkraftəd]

ADJECTIVE
    1. made skillfully by hand.
      "a handcrafted rocking chair"

So their you have it,  the definition of the words
      Handmade is with out machine
      Handcrafted is skillfully made
      I guess that if it is handmade then it is not skillfully made,  LOL kinda like my leather work
      I am not up to handcrafted yet..

Who is using the words Handmade?, I would make a guess its mainly the makers using it for marketing reasons, implying extra care has been applied, which may be the case or may not, with few percentage of customers asking how it is made, obviously some will, but most at a craft fair would assume the stall owner made them, and that's as far as they will enquire. At least that what i would assume in England

1 hour ago, Frodo said:

semantics

Look it 

Although there is no definite difference between handmade and handicraft, there is a slight difference in their usage. The term handmade can be used to describe a product made by assembling already manufactured products while handicrafts are typically made completely by hand or with the use of simple tools.

HANDMADE

[han(d)ˈmād]

ADJECTIVE
  1. made by hand, not by machine, and typically therefore of superior quality.
    "his expensive handmade leather shoes"

handcrafted
    [ˈhan(d)ˌkraftəd]

ADJECTIVE
    1. made skillfully by hand.
      "a handcrafted rocking chair"

So their you have it,  the definition of the words
      Handmade is with out machine
      Handcrafted is skillfully made
      I guess that if it is handmade then it is not skillfully made,  LOL kinda like my leather work
      I am not up to handcrafted yet..

I have found some sketchy info on the definitions from the fair trade commission in jewelry making sites but nothing I can post yet I am sure the ftc would consider leatherwork under the same.

I found this,it is from the FTC and is mentioned in jewelry making sites I would suspect they would also apply to leatherwork if the subject came about.  

23.3 Misuse of the Terms “hand-made,” “hand-polished,” etc.

(a) It is unfair or deceptive to represent, directly or by
implication, that any industry product is handmade or hand-wrought
unless the entire shaping and forming of such product from raw
materials and its finishing and decoration were accomplished by hand
labor and manually-controlled methods which permit the maker to
control and vary the construction, shape, design, and finish of each
part of each individual product.

Note to paragraph (a): As used herein, “raw materials” include bulk
sheet, strip, wire, and similar items that have not been cut, shaped,
or formed into jewelry parts, semifinished parts, or blanks.

(b) It is unfair or deceptive to represent, directly or by
implication, that any industry product is handforged, hand-engraved,
hand-finished, or hand-polished, or has been otherwise
hand-processed, unless the operation described was accomplished by
hand labor and manually-controlled methods which permit the maker to
control and vary the type, amount, and effect of such operation on
each part of each individual product.

Here is the section on leather  https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&SID=da0fff93d248d84476b245ccfa2ce5bc&rgn=div5&view=text&node=16%3A1.0.1.2.14&idno=16

Edited by chuck123wapati
more info

By using the Websters dictionary definition,  I can only conclude that if you use a sewing machine in the leather process then your work is handcrafted

not hand made

If you hand stitch then your work is handcrafted and/or handmade

BTW...did you get an elk? Back strap steaks?  jerkey?  sausage?  

25 minutes ago, Frodo said:

By using the Websters dictionary definition,  I can only conclude that if you use a sewing machine in the leather process then your work is handcrafted

not hand made

Four, me ,my son, and two of my daughters! two cows two spikes and yes all of the above. I make and smoke my own sausage, corned elk, pastrami and some jerky, I usually give my hides to the vfw but am thinking next year possibly making rawhide for my self as I just priced elk rawhide, seems I give away a couple grand every year just in deer and elk.

Yea I think I've found the answer for me in the federal trade commission rules, bottom line its all about pleasing big brother no matter what a person or their patrons feel is right, if you make the whole product from basic raw materials using hand tools then its handmade,  such as your awesome baby grand, if you hang a store bought buckle for example then it isn't completely handmade anymore. I think for now its best not to use the term in any advertising and let the consumers know what parts you have done by hand if you feel the need as most here have said.

congrats.  on the meat..and most importantly, the family time

equal parts glycerin   and 70% iso.  alcohol 

cover hide. seal in a plastic storage tote, for a week..check it..if it smells like alchol it is ready,,if not,,leave it few more days

hang to dry..it is tanned and preserved

Edited by Frodo

54 minutes ago, Frodo said:

congrats.  on the meat..and most importantly, the family time

equal parts glycerin   and 70% iso.  alcohol 

cover hide. seal in a plastic storage tote, for a week..check it..if it smells like alchol it is ready,,if not,,leave it few more days

hang to dry..it is tanned and preserved

Thanks yea hunting has always been about family it is still a way of life for us "hillbillies"here in Wyoming we can still manage to live primarily on wild life, fish and a big garden, with most of our sustenance coming from the land not the store. That's the recipe I use for my rattlesnake skins I might try that on some rabbit first, oh yea we raise rabbits too lol much better than chicken. By the way love your dog ,we have a Beagle we rescued from the pound looks just like yours in the face.

sissy.JPG

Edited by chuck123wapati
dog

love My dog, But she got me into mega trouble, last Christmas  she went down the road to my nearest  neighbors house.  

Tore up the Naivety scene, and ran off with baby Jesus.  I could not deny that she was guilty. with a trail of garland strung out down the road t straight to her dog house

We hunt a lot of wild pig,     farmers want us to get them out of the fields.They can ruin a whole crop in one night

43 minutes ago, Frodo said:

love My dog, But she got me into mega trouble, last Christmas  she went down the road to my nearest  neighbors house.  

Tore up the Naivety scene, and ran off with baby Jesus.  I could not deny that she was guilty. with a trail of garland strung out down the road t straight to her dog house

We hunt a lot of wild pig,     farmers want us to get them out of the fields.They can ruin a whole crop in one night

Would love to go pig hunting we don't have them here, it would sure help my bacon and sausage costs lol, that is one thing I have to buy at the store pork for making my bacon and sausage. LOL my dog, Sissy, doesn't get off her leash much but she sure can bark a lot didn't know that about Beagles and the lady at the pound forgot to mention it, she will even bark at her own echo.

7 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

Would love to go pig hunting we don't have them here, it would sure help my bacon and sausage costs lol, that is one thing I have to buy at the store pork for making my bacon and sausage. LOL my dog, Sissy, doesn't get off her leash much but she sure can bark a lot didn't know that about Beagles and the lady at the pound forgot to mention it, she will even bark at her own echo.

Who said people do not hunt with the really really scary black semifullautomaticbolt action 6000 rounds per minute AR-15 with the hand hold thing and the bullet compressor  rocket launcher?  {Sar-CASM}

pig.png

pig3.png

pig1.png

On 10/12/2019 at 1:07 AM, billybopp said:

Maybe a better distinction than the term "hand made"  would be "single maker" - where a craftsperson sees the the whole process through from leather selection to finished product.

Yes, i am with billy bopp here, made from start to finish by the same maker, with or without sewing machines, skivers etc..

9 hours ago, Frodo said:

Who said people do not hunt with the really really scary black semifullautomaticbolt action 6000 rounds per minute AR-15 with the hand hold thing and the bullet compressor  rocket launcher?  {Sar-CASM}

pig.png

pig3.png

pig1.png

Yea man, have one I built myself from an 80% lower, legal for antelope and deer out here. But we need long range scopes lol good to 600.

On 11/5/2019 at 9:56 AM, Frodo said:

not hand made

Unless it’s with a hand powered machine, such as a Tippman.