DarrelT

Prevent dye from staining thread

How can I keep the leather dye from staining hand stitched thread? Especially on longer stitching runs.

After so many pulls the tread slowly picks up the leather dye and by the end of the run the contrasting color is almost gone.

I’ve tried waxing but that wasn’t enough. Maybe I’m using the wrong kind of thread. I just have a cheap array of thread from Amazon. 

Regular old dye like Fiebing's?  What is the thread made of?  I ask because only natural fibers like linen really absorb the dye.  Nylon and polyester can get the dye on them but it doesn't soak in under those conditions (they need to be boiled or something).

Waxing only lasts a while.  You will need to rewax as you stitch, as some wears off every time it is pulled through the hole.  With linen thread you can see if fraying as you stitch a long run.

The dye can also be sticking to the wax.  Try wiping off your thread with a clean cloth then rewax.

When you are done sewing, also try cleaning with saddle soap.  Sometimes that will help remove dye from stitching.

Pull off a good section of extra thread and double that.  The doubled section thread tends to pick up the extra dye.  I tend to pull of 6X the length of the stitch line.  With white thread I'll pull 7 or 8 depending on the color I've dyed the holster.