YinTx

CS Osborne Round knife - Restored!

Just wanted to show off a round knife I just refurbished.  Lighting wasn't the best, but it gets the point across ok I think.  Let me know what you think!

Now that’s sharp!  Good job!

Thanks!  These older knives really perform when you dial them in.  Presuming it is pre 1906 when CS Osborne moved from Newark to Harrison, it would be 115 years old at least.  Rings like a bell when tapped, cuts really nice.  I have several of these that I have been working over, and selling off one at a time - I can only use so many myself!  Do wish I could keep them all tho, this one is pretty nice.

YinTx

OsborneStar1.thumb.jpg.24ee2b201441beae2ccaed952ba1a6f1.jpg

OsborneStar2.thumb.jpg.e4e828bea80a8e90bf38d640099c1f45.jpg

My baby will still be the one you sold my about a year ago!

4 hours ago, Grumpymann said:

My baby will still be the one you sold my about a year ago!

Awesome, I am glad it is working well for you!

YinTx

Quick question for you, when you have them for sale do you advertise them here on leatherworker? I ask because I would definitely be interested in buying one from you.

2 hours ago, akguy59 said:

Quick question for you, when you have them for sale do you advertise them here on leatherworker? I ask because I would definitely be interested in buying one from you.

Sometimes.   Usually, I get to work on one when someone is looking for one.  Usually takes several days to get one dialed in like this.

YinTx

lovely stuff, I've never managed to get my knife quite like that no matter how long I hone it-  Any top secret tricks involved or just patience and steady hands? great work!

30 minutes ago, AlexOstacchini said:

lovely stuff, I've never managed to get my knife quite like that no matter how long I hone it-  Any top secret tricks involved or just patience and steady hands? great work!

Thank you and yes, a lot of patience and steady hands - along with a lot of practice.  I am sure there are others that do it faster, but I do mine on a 1200 grit diamond plate, followed up with Japanese water stones at up to 4000 grit, then stropping for the final polish.  Depending on the condition of the blade, it can take me up to 4 or 5 hours to get a good edge that I am happy with.

YinTx

That is a thing of BEAUTY! I’m so excited to get it to its new home! Thank you, sir! 

3 hours ago, fighttobreathe said:

That is a thing of BEAUTY! I’m so excited to get it to its new home! Thank you, sir! 

Hope it suits you well.  The more I look at it, the more I like it.  Even the wood grain in the handle is fantastic.  Worked up a prototype sheath today, will finish stitching and send a photo tomorrow to see if you like it!

YinTx

Edited by YinTx

Wow! that is very nice and sharp. Enjoyed the post.

@YinTx I have ZERO DOUBT that I will!

On 10/12/2019 at 8:59 PM, YinTx said:

- I can only use so many myself!  

I beg to differ.  Lol. 

13 hours ago, Rohn said:

Wow! that is very nice and sharp. Enjoyed the post.

Thanks!

11 hours ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

I beg to differ.  Lol. 

Hahah I try to differ from my original statement also, but alas, here I am with too many and looking at others!

YinTx

That was a true pleasure to watch. And to think, I often consider some of my chisels to be sharp. But not like that. Thank you for sharing.   

Hello Yin Tx, I"ve been following your story about the round knife restoration, great reading. You said that you are willing to sell a knife, I would be interested in buying one. I have a modern-day one, very unhappy with the poor steel. Thank you, Mike 

beautiful work, this is why c.s. osborn has been in business for 190 yrs. but I have to say you do good work. thank you for sharing. I am a big c.s. osborn fan. have two old pieces  from my high school days. one is 50 yrs. old, bought it new, the other is a round knife that a saddle maker gave me. it is over 50yrs. old.

Hello Yin TX, i've ben doing the docter/ hospital/rehab thing for the past 6 weeks so have been out of touch with the forum. Just wondering if you perhaps have stumbled across another lonely round-knife in need of a new home. Thanks again. Mike