EB 509

neumann & co machine

have an old patch machine that has politype on the treadle.. the head has a faded label that I think reads R. neumann & Co. appears that the machine will sew but was looking for any info that as to the history. been sitting in this basement for at least 60 years that i'm aware of. thanks

will post some pics soon

Politype shoepatchers were made in Germany.  I have one myself.

probably won't get a chance to post pics for a few days. even though it has R Neumann & Co painted on the head, it appears to be politype # 3 patcher. been stored in this house for a long time, it came with the house and it used to sew. needs a good going over. seems tight is only missing some tension disks above the needle bar

please post pics.

thanks

glenn

Wow! Nice machine!

How do you turn its head?

Yep,  I agree with Constabulary.  That is a Durkopp 17- class.  The length of arm will tell us one thing on the subclass, the hook and bobbin the other info on subclass.  Can we see more pictures?

You realize it has been more than 2 years awaiting for the pics!!  I hope the next pics come quicker.  Neumann probably contracted with Politype or Durkopp for this machine.  Private labeling.

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher

Yes time flies....throat measures 19"...bobbin is 1" ...appears to be in time but the hook doesn't want to pick up the lower thread...

treadle printing is hard to read but is "politype" and lower line reads "Emile James NY"...R Neumann & Co printed on the head ...serial #2110

any info would be greatly appreciated...Thanks a bunch

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

re read my post and meant to say that  the the hook misses the upper thread...not sure why seems to be right where it should be..may be a tension issue not leaving enough loop in the needle thread for the hook to pickup...not really sure

15 minutes ago, EB 509 said:

re read my post and meant to say that  the the hook misses the upper thread...not sure why seems to be right where it should be..may be a tension issue not leaving enough loop in the needle thread for the hook to pickup...not really sure

The check spring setting affects the quality of the loop.

thanks for the suggestion about the check spring...was wondering what the cylinder on top is for,  mine doesn't have one, the mounting hole is there...I'm still learning about these machines.

I have a pro 2000, 111 155, an american straight needle, and a 29k 60 , seem to be able to make them all sew but this one has been a problem... I just like the old machines...thanks