Hi All,

I am looking buying a second hand what appears to be a little-used Wimsew 246. It will be my first venture into an industrial unit. I've been looking for the right 2nd hand machine for some months and this the latest offering in the classifieds.

It will be used on a low volume home-based craft manufacturer, making bags, wallets. I want to be able to do top threads and usual stitching.  This will range from size #/tkt60 -10, with needle sizes 14/90 - 25/200 (or maybe 24/180 at a push)

Can anyone offer a view if this machine will be suitable?

Part of the reason I've come on here for advice is that there doesn't seem to be a manual available online. I've contacted Wimsew and they say they only supply one with a new machine which is a little frustrating. I know it's very similar to a Juki 246 (a clone), but I don't know just how similar. A Juki seems to be able to do what I'm after.

Given I want to move between these sizes, will the timing of any parts need to be adjusted to move between these sizes?

I'm going to take my materials and threads in the next day or so and have a go, but I wonder if anyone has any experience or views.

Many thanks and this is a fab website, where I've gained lots of help, ideas and advice.

Paul

Edited by Mayfish
I misspelled the title - Winsew to Wimsew.

looks like the Wimsew 246 is a clone of the JUKI DSC 246. Juki website says you can use up to 120 needles but often a bit larger needles like 140 are possible (but I only can guess).

Check the specs on the JUKI website:

https://www.juki.co.jp/industrial_e/products_e/leather_e/cylinder_e/dsc2447_2457_2467_244_245_246.html

Edited by Constabulary

9 hours ago, Constabulary said:

looks like the Wimsew 246 is a clone of the JUKI DSC 246. Juki website says you can use up to 120 needles but often a bit larger needles like 140 are possible (but I only can guess).

Check the specs on the JUKI website:

https://www.juki.co.jp/industrial_e/products_e/leather_e/cylinder_e/dsc2447_2457_2467_244_245_246.html

Hi Const' thanks for that link, it says on the spec at the bottom of the page the 246 V can handle DP×17 (#21) #14~#23  (see the second column below) which I read in my naivety it works with needles size 14 to 23. I'm after 24 or 25. So yes it may work. Can you confirm I'm reading this right? 

Needle
DP×17(#18) #14~#21
DP×17 (#21) #14~#23

It also says it will work with thread #50-#8 again see the second column below

Thread
#50~#20, B33~B69, Nm=120/3~40/3
#50~#8, B33~B92,
Nm=120/3~30/3

If I'm reading this right then yes, it should work down to #/tkt 10.

I also don't know what the significance of the 'V' in the 246V means. Any ideas?

Again if you can confirm this would be great.

Thanks

Paul

Seems I misread - I was on 120/3 (which is a thread size and not the needle size)

#23 is a NM 160 needle so I was a bit off with my assumption of max. 140. If it can handle larger needles than 160? I don´t know if I were you I´d buy some needles and thread and test it! It is a clone machine - you never know if they are set up like the originals. Testing a machine before buying it is ALWAYS the best bet! ;)

In a German sewing forum someone is using 180 needles on a Pfaff 335 clone (Shanggong 335 or so) - seems it works but that for sure is pushed to the limits. Personally I would use needles up to 140 on machines of this class and everything larger from 160 onward I would use a different machine with barrel type hook (like Singer 45K, Adler 5, Adler 105  or similar)

Edited by Constabulary

I used to own a W246. It didn't like TKT10 thread, even after I and a professional tech worked on it. Did okay with TKT20 and smaller though. "Okay" being the operative word.

The DSC256 is a very interesting beast; it manages to shoehorn a large M-bobbin hook and a 4-motion feed-dog into a 48mm small cylinder, whereas most manufacturers can only get a 2-motion feed-dog and a G-bobbin or L-bobbin hook into one. It does this by some clever engineering workarounds that, while I'm sure work fine with the high quality manufacturing that Juki provides, don't lend themselves to the lower cost factories. There really isn't much margin for error. In the end I was spending far too much time fighting and retiming the machine. Found a used Seiko at auction and sold the W246. Never regretted that decision. Now I've got two identical Seikos and will probably buy more.

In the interests of full disclosure my W246 didn't come to me direct from Wimsew, it was a second hand machine that had been run hard and put away wet (literally). However a few needle strikes and spots of rust didn't cause the crappy castings, the cheese-grade screws, the bearing surfaces rough as a badgers arse or the tolerances looser than my granny's knicker elastic. Maybe I got a lemon. Maybe their quality has improved since then (I noticed they're using better motors now). Or maybe I'm being far too harsh comparing the machine to ones that cost triple. Just my experience with one machine.

Ok folks, yes, I'm going to take my stuff and give it a go see who I get on. From what I've seen it looks fairly fresh and in good condition.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks very much for all the advice. :-)

hi Folks, well after much adjustment, yes it indeed will handle those thicknesses from 60 - 10. I'm off to collect the machine this morning!!!