gordond

Campbell Randall awl/needle/thread sizing

Hi all

I have finally set up a new power train on my Campbell Randall (750 servo + speed reducer)..control and stitching all good.

But the previous owner only stitched with fine thread (looks like a 207 - non bonded poly - he ran it through lube)...  and only needles supplied with this machine are 0.5 with a limited amount of 1.5 awls (have a range of awls in different forms/sizes - blade forms to 3.5 chisel points)..

So seemingly straight forward when I checked my manual to select the correct needle/awl/thread size..am I correct in assuming that a 5 cord thread (346) needs a size 1.5 needle with size 2.0 to a size 2.5 awl ?

I am considering using linen (left twist) - up to 346 ... but already have a good quantity of bonded polyester (207 to 346)... would appreciate opinions of polyester vs linen in this machine and appropriate needle/awl. 

Thanks

Screenshot_20191016-002014~2.png

Call Campbell Randal Company for their advice on needle and awl vs thread combinations. They will ask what thickness and density you are sewing and what thread you will be using.

I have owned 2 Union Lockstitch machines and always used a full size larger awl than needle. I used to match the thread to the needle by pulling various needle sizes along the top thread until it got tight. If the thread was tightly bonded and lubed I would use a tight fitting needle. If the thread was loosely bonded, or linen with any kind of wax, I chose a larger needle so the thread wouldn't stick inside the barb at pick-off time. The awl has to poke a big enough hole for the lockstitch knots to pull up. Experiment!

I am going to contact them in due course.. good advice on the appropriate needle vs thread type - that's what I was looking for (& suspected) ..thanks Wiz

Polyester is ok to use, but no nylon... 

On 10/15/2019 at 9:30 AM, Wizcrafts said:

Call Campbell Randal Company for their advice on needle and awl vs thread combinations. They will ask what thickness and density you are sewing and what thread you will be using.

I have owned 2 Union Lockstitch machines and always used a full size larger awl than needle. I used to match the thread to the needle by pulling various needle sizes along the top thread until it got tight. If the thread was tightly bonded and lubed I would use a tight fitting needle. If the thread was loosely bonded, or linen with any kind of wax, I chose a larger needle so the thread wouldn't stick inside the barb at pick-off time. The awl has to poke a big enough hole for the lockstitch knots to pull up. Experiment!

Thank you.  That was very helpful.  I believe the Campbell Randal manual recommends an awl size the next size bigger than the needle.  I had been using that combination but find your recommendation of one full size larger produces better looking stitches.  I am wondering what adjustments you think might be made to get the bottom stitch to look more like the top without running an overstitch wheel over it.  Lately I have been using waxed Tiger thread in my machine instead of either polyester or waxed linen and the only issue seems to be increased drag on the shuttle tension.  Anyway thanks for all of your knowledge.