zzmikeg

BISSONNETTE EDGE BEVELERS

Hi Folks,

I've been searching hard to find something about sharpening these Bissonette edge bevelers that I found on line.  I found something by Bruce Johnson which is okay, but I'm hoping to find more.

Can anyone advise me on sharpening these Bissonette edgers?

If by chance you haven't seen Bruce Johnson's website, there's a good chance you'd like it.  He deals in vintage leather tools of every kind.  Lots of info, too. check out https://brucejohnsonleather.com/

bissonette-1.jpg

bissonette-2.jpg

6 hours ago, mdv99 said:

There's some good information in this video Weaver Leathercraft: Sharpening 7 Basic Shop Tools

I like Weaver Leathercraft.  I just wish they'd get a little more detailed in their instruction.  He mentions the Bissonette at 4:25 and by 4:40 (literally 15 seconds) he's moved on and mentions nothing about sharpening it.  It was worth a shot, though.

I have seen a video on this somewhere -- can't remember. They used an appropriately sized, foot long piece of twine, glued it to a board, applied jeweler's rouge and stropped it.

nick

Edited by wizard of tragacanth

Search YouTube for 'sharpening an edge beveller'; there are several videos, especially that by 'lb custom knives'

Most of them are for the 'open ended' style of edger but I'm sure you can adapt the technique. They usually involve making ridges or raised narrow strops - watch the videos

This is what I've done for my Tandy & Seiwa open ended edgers -

Took a sheet of plywood about 25 x 10 cm, though it could be any other suitable piece of wood

Bevelled both sides of an edge of 3mm veg tan, then cut it off about 4mm wide and 20cm long. Glued the flat edge to the wood so that the raised part has a rounded profile. Rub with compound and strop the edgers. It will adapt to the various sizes

Glued on a 20 cm length of 3mm dia braided nylon cord. Can rub this with compound and use as is, or use as a base for very fine wet & dry paper. It will adapt to the size of the edger

Have a selection of rods of various dias - bamboo, brass, steel, aluminium; say 2 to 4mm. Hold down fine wet & dry onto the rod and in turn onto the paper. Use these to strop the edger

Play around with this technique and YT videos and you should get there

I also added a small strop to the board, about 20cm x 4cm, but that is not relevant to bisonnettes