m4rym4ry

Old Pfaff 1245 with Quick-Rotan and Singer 211g766

Hi!
I've been digging informations from this website from quite some time now and it was always helpful. But this time I didn't find answers to my questions, so here's my first post.
(If i have to introduce myself first, I'll do it right away but there's not much to say.)

I have an opportunity to buy an old iron cast sewing machine from a factory. Problem is, they have been forgotten for longtime and nobody could give me any informations about them neither if they works. In fact they learnt stuff from me, total noob that i am.

So here's my choices:
  • Pfaff 1245-706/05 with a quick-rotan motor 
  • Singer 211g766

I'm afraid of the electronic part of the Pfaff motor and the fact that I found zero ressources about it doesn't help. Any ideas?
Also I have no clue of the Singer 766 particularity. 

If anyone could help that would be awesome.

quick-rotan.jpg

singer_211g766.jpg

quick-rotan_motor.jpg

pfaff_1245-706-05.jpg

Just from looking at few pictures...

regarding motor - if they work great if not do not waste time and money in this old clunkers buy a new servo motor instead - really!

If I had to choose I´d choose the machine with the fewest electronically controlled devices! Why? Because they are OLD and the motors are "dead" and I don´t think they are not supported anymore.

regarding singer 211G766 - see attachment ;)

Hope this helps

I would probably buy them both refurbish them both  keep one and sell the other one - maybe you break even and so you have the other machine for free or even make a profit ;)

singer 211G766.jpg

Edited by Constabulary

Thanks Constabulary! This chart board really helped me !

For the motor, I don't know why the pictures went in random order but in case it wasn't clear, it's the front and back of the Pfaff motor.
So I'm concerned to change anything, as it seems to have kind of an electric board. I wouldn't know what to keep or what to throw away :/

I have no problem to put grease on my hands, but when it comes electronics, not my cup of tea.
Is it possible to change the whole things or just a part? Wouldn't it cost like a lot? And it seems to be a three phase motor, or not? 

I was also thinking to buy them both, but this motor, I don't know.

I think normally a Pfaff 1245 needs pressurized air to operate. For some it is a game changer. It might be possible to dismantle this part its accessory functions using air, but It may take some time to figure it out. I agree with Constabulary, that you will need to change to a servo motor.

pfaff_back.thumb.jpg.2aca82c31b41caeab3402ba7aadd9505.jpg

Here is the pressure air tube getting out of the blue thing. I seen it just hanged from there, you see it on the previous machine picture down on the left corner. Is that even normal?

I looked for a servomotor, damn it's expensive for that model. I'm starting to consider it too expensive without knowing if the machine works. 
Maybe I'll take two Singer instead. Is the 211g256 a possible donor machine for the 211g766?

4 hours ago, m4rym4ry said:

pfaff_back.thumb.jpg.2aca82c31b41caeab3402ba7aadd9505.jpg

Here is the pressure air tube getting out of the blue thing. I seen it just hanged from there, you see it on the previous machine picture down on the left corner. Is that even normal?

I looked for a servomotor, damn it's expensive for that model. I'm starting to consider it too expensive without knowing if the machine works. 
Maybe I'll take two Singer instead. Is the 211g256 a possible donor machine for the 211g766?

-

( if were me ) I would just put a brushless servo drive on it . then totally separate from the new servo . fix the pneumatic piston with new solenoid switch, hose Regulator/dryer-vile and run some air .

Option #1 - You could probably just remove the air pull-push piston on Foot-Lift, and then just prefab yourself a pull chain or Rod strait down from linkage to a foot pedal for pull and Press.foot lift .

Are all the parts there under the table. like Hose and Solenoid switch ? .
Option #2 -  The machine already looks laid out for it, So it an easy road just to roll with it and just get it working .
Those little actuator solenoid switches are only 20-$ and less . The pistons are actually really cheap cost also . hose and fittings you can just go over hardware store or on-line .

Those pistons are just a simple Air IN/Out Push/Pull, and you could easy just take and put fresh plastic hose and get a little pancake air compressor with regulator and put in-line with that a dryer vile to get that thing working .
Pneumatic looks intimidating but on old machine stuff it actually really simple . All it is 'air' and a when push on your knee or foot button, it just pulls down the press-foot linkage with the piston and then when you let-up on the witch it just releases pressure from piston .

Edited by nylonRigging

Thanks NylonRigging. You helped me to better understand it.

Unfortunately, I had the chance to discuss with a sewist who worked on the pfaff and told me that they stopped using it because it was damaged. She couldnt tell me what exactly was broken, but that plus the fact that it was a 380v motor, I ended pu taking two singer 211g. Easier based on my abilities.

Maybe they'll get rid of the pfaff at the end of the month. Maybe i'll have to make even more room on my cave at the end of the month ;)

Thanks to everyone that helped me. 
Ill keep you updated with the singers, but thats for another post.

Nice thing about two identical machines is it gives you an "Arkansas blueprint" and/or spare part in case you need one now and then.

Yeah, if they don't regard the Pfaff to be worth using, maybe they'll give up on even dealing with it and they'll just toss it into the bin & hit the floor of your hauler instead... fer nuthin'.