steelhawk

Colt 'D' Frame Holster Question

A good customer, sadly out of state, has a Colt 'D' Frame with a 4" thin barrel. Pic attached.  Does anyone know if the common blue guns will work for it?  I have blue guns for a K frame,  N Frame, J frame, Sp101 and Mod 60. 

ColtDFrame4Inch.jpg

What you mean by "will work"?  Wet forming, I'd want the Colt.  But if you're making the 'traditonal" taco-style rig, use the K.

The J and Ruger will be too small, and the N too big.

Easy enough to verify if he has a caliper, have him measure the frame height in front of the cylinder, and the barrel diameter.  If I remember right, there's less than a 1/16" diff in the cylinder diameters (k is just slightly larger than the D).

JLSLeather is correct, for a properly wet-formed holster you will need the revolver or an exact copy.

If your customer is looking for only a functional (close enough to work) fit, of the models you have listed the Ruger SP101 will be the closest in overall dimensions (although slightly larger in the frame area), and barrel length will have to be approximated to some degree (SP101 comes in 2.25", 3.1", and 4.2" as I recall).

The Colt "D" frame is the small-frame common to the Detective Special, Cobra, Agent, Police Positive, Pocket Positive, Bankers Model, etc. The photo you show looks like the Police Positive version, probably 1950's to 1960's vintage. Moderately valuable to collectors of modern Colt revolvers, and appears to be in excellent condition. I would recommend a holster that will minimize possibilities of unnecessary holster wear to the finish, perhaps a nice soft leather lining as added protection. Your customer should also be advised not to store his handguns in any leather holster, remove them after each day's use, wipe them down with an oily rag or silicone-treated cloth. All leather holsters have a tendency to collect moisture from the air, from perspiration, etc, and when a carbon steel handgun is stored in the holster there is always a concern for corrosion over time.

Idle thoughts of an old retired holster maker.

8 hours ago, Lobo said:

looks like the Police Positive version, probably 1950's to 1960's

short of a better picture, that woulda been my guess

8 hours ago, Lobo said:

I would recommend a holster that will minimize possibilities of unnecessary holster wear to the finish,

tha's why I suggested the "K" dummy gun... maybe a bit less "buffin" on the finish.  But, perhaps the SP101 will let it ride a bit higher and result in less wear?  

Closer inspection comes up with info that may or may not matter (we could be talking 6 er half dozen here)

Cylinder diameters (note this is from internet search, NOT from actual physical measurements taken):

• Ruger SP101 1.350"
  •  
  • Colt "D" ........ 1.400"
  •  
  • S/W "K"   ...... 1.446"

EDIT:  Cylinder diameter / length does not take into account FRAME height and thickness and should not be construed as medical advice.

Edited by JLSleather
jokes n stuff

IIRC The Colt Cobra or Detective Special has the same frame as the Police Positive. The later Diamondback and Viper revolvers are also based on this frame size though the top strap of the Diamondback is very different due to the adjustable rear sight.

Thanks for your help. My customer says he has a holster for a K frame and it is too big. My SP101 was too small and we couldn't really decide if I could get it to work so I didn't get that sale. I will look into the UK link and see what the cost would be if they can send it overseas.  Thanks for all  your advice.