Been making holsters for some time but this is my first mag pouch. I got the idea a couple of weeks ago when someone was trying to figure out how to accomplish some particular task on their project.

Sorry, I don’t remember who or what project it was. Anyway, I had suggested that they fold the leather under. Then, I decided to make a mag pouch using this method, just for fun. Here is the result.

I had a little problem, I was distracted when I went to dye the inside of the pouch. I had a fully loaded dauber. Normally, I would squish half of it out, but this time, I didn't. 

This wild excess of dye, turned green. For me, it was a happy accident. I liked it! Reminds me of the Northern Lights. 

Critiques welcome.

nick

Leather:  2.15 mm
Thread:   Ritza 0.8 Navy Blue
Dye:         Fiebing’s Pro Navy Blue
Edges:    Tokonole
Finish:     Satin Shene
Snaps:    Tandy Line 20 Black Plate

237519373_M11-A1FRONT_small.jpg.10e3e31a2d5f78265db6ad06be03745d.jpg1034605984_M11-A1MagPouchBACK_small.jpg.0fd400fda3097df3fcafaa822800897f.jpg2090370289_M11-A1SIDE_small.jpg.ebf8fafd5e49d73792388398b34376af.jpg

I rather like that. I'd have hit it with MOAR DYE!!! and damn near blacked it out.

The first think I thought was "I like the color" before I read the description. If it's repeatable that is a fortuitous discovery.

I think your mag holder design would make a good multi-tool sheath as well. You could extend the loop strap over the top and snap it to the front and voila!

11 hours ago, thefallguy said:

The first think I thought was "I like the color" before I read the description. If it's repeatable that is a fortuitous discovery.

I think your mag holder design would make a good multi-tool sheath as well. You could extend the loop strap over the top and snap it to the front and voila!

Yes, I really do like the color myself and will likely try to reproduce it... intentionally. I daubed some extra on my maker's mark but it did not turn green as I had hoped, just darker navy.

Here is a Leatherman case that I made for a friend of mine, maybe 6 years ago. He had the pliers on one end of this tool and complained that they always ate through the bottom of his cases. So, I made one like a holster. Can't chew through that!

If you look closely at the stitching, you will see where I ran my over-stitcher too high and left five or six marks above the stitch line. Oh well, it was a freebie.

nick

LC_small pic.JPG

Edited by wizard of tragacanth