AlexD

cheap skiving and round knives - ebay

Haven't see any posts about these knives yet so i thought I'd share. I bought a round knife a few days ago and have been very impressed with it for only £17 it was definitely worth it. Quick delivery as well. Hope someone finds it helpful :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/custom.made.online?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754 

If the link doesn't work just search custom.made.online on ebay.

Many old leather knifes from probably prior to 1950 ish seem to be held in great esteem, what steel would have been available in those days for knife blades

I bought a damascus skiving knife from this seller a few months back and it was garbage.  The angle of the grind was wrong, and it wasn't full tang damascus...basically a tac welded hunk to normal steel in the handle.  The pricing would have been great if the item was actually usable.

George Barnsley was a Sheffield based manufacturer of knives and other tools for leather and other trades, but they closed down several years ago. Now they've started up again, still in Sheffield, producing  round knives, head/half round knives, other knives, and other tools for leatherwork. Not dirt cheap but not super expensive either; in other words, a fair price for what you get.

I have one of their head knives, and as a traditional manufacturer you get a basic edge; you're expected to do the final sharpening & polishing yourself, but once you get there it's excellent.

Search Google for 'George Barnsley and Sons'.

There are several videos about sharpening round & head knives; Search YouTube accordingly

Edited by zuludog

On 10/29/2019 at 2:05 AM, chrisash said:

Many old leather knifes from probably prior to 1950 ish seem to be held in great esteem, what steel would have been available in those days for knife blades

1095 for one,  still one of the best high carbon steels and what I use in my blades.

56 minutes ago, niknoT said:

I bought a damascus skiving knife from this seller a few months back and it was garbage.  The angle of the grind was wrong, and it wasn't full tang damascus...basically a tac welded hunk to normal steel in the handle.  The pricing would have been great if the item was actually usable.

Damascus has become the  fad steel of choice its very cool looking and good steel if done correctly the grind is the most important part. Knives and axes have been built with only the cutting blade made from quality steel for centuries welded to lower carbon steels but it has to be done correctly that's for sure tack welding doesn't cut it and with todays steel prices there is no need really in a small blade such as that. Seems the knife business has its share of low quality just as the leather business or any other, its to bad greed has won out over personal integrity in todays world.

Here's a great cheap skiver if you have the knowledge and tools to shape it without losing the temper. Its a heavy duty putty knife sold at Walmart that I remade into a skiver. Its good steel and holds an edge well. They sell a thin blade and a thick blade this is the thick blade, 1.7mm  grind it to about 15/ 20 degree angle and you'll have a decent knife for about 7.00 bucks

skive1.JPG

skive2.JPG