zuludog

Leather for Wallets?

I make mainly sheaths from 3mm veg tan, but recently I've fancied making a wallet or two. My problem is that once I've started Surfing the Net I find there are lots of suppliers and possibilities for the leather, and things get rather confusing

However I've more or less settled on these from the clearance section of https://www.aacrack.co.uk - though I will have to wait a couple of days till after the weekend to find out prices

Tempesti Oregon veal half hide 1,5/1/7mm  and Horween Chromexcel sides 1,6/1,8mm

I'll also get Nigel Armitage's Wallet Design Pack

Any comments please?

Edited by zuludog

I've used their chromexcel horse front quite successfully for wallets.

One thing I learned on the first wallet I made was to make sure the measurements on the pattern are suitable for the size of the banknotes in the country in which it will be used.

There are a couple of sites on t'internet that give banknote dimensions.

I have been using kangaroo leather, about 1mm thick and I love it! I got a hide from Maverick Leather Supply and I think paid $120. It is about 6 or 7 sq ft.There is a tannery in Australia that sells for much less but then there is shipping and time to wait. I am no expert but I think kangaroo is the strongest leather for it thickness. Very easy to work with and no skiving.

I've heard that kangaroo leather is good, but it's not so easy to find in Britain. I also expect that it will be expensive, so I'll get some practice on something that's cheaper, but still fairly good, first

However, there has been some progress - there are several hide suppliers, but A &A Crack seems the most interesting. They don't publish prices, which I suppose is the difference between a merchant and a shop. Instead you choose a few likely products, then they send you a sample and a quote. I've done that, just waiting for a reply

There are two leather merchants near me -

J Wood Leathers, Keighly. I've visited them once, and it's definitely a warehouse, not a shop, and it would be unreasonable to ask them to unload 3 or 4 pallets just for me to choose one or two pieces. They do have a pile of oddments in the corner though, so I might call sometime

Newman Leathers, Bury I've phoned them and they will sell small quantities for hobby use, but I expect the setup will be similar to J Wood. Still, they're close enough to visit

AA Crack has some nice leathers. I've used the Minerva Box and Pueblo from the Badalassi Carlo tannery for wallets. But being from Texas I buy mine from Rocky Mountain Leather Supply. For wallet interiors/pockets I've been getting my leather split to 0.5 mm and folding it for a fully lined pocket. Here's a wallet using Navy Minerva Box split to 1.0mm for the exterior.

MinervaBox.JPG

Edited by thefanninator

45 minutes ago, thefanninator said:

AA Crack has some nice leathers. I've used the Minerva Box and Pueblo from the Badalassi Carlo tannery for wallets. But being from Texas I buy mine from Rocky Mountain Leather Supply. For wallet interiors/pockets I've been getting my leather split to 0.5 mm and folding it for a fully lined pocket. Here's a wallet using Navy Minerva Box split to 1.0mm for the exterior.

MinervaBox.JPG

Thanks for the comment/recommendation

I've asked for 4 or 5 samples, including the Minerva but not the Pablo, plus the Tempesti & Horween I've already mentioned; can't remember what the others were.

If I produce anything like as good as your example I'll be happy enough!