Sign in to follow this  
DebSweet

How Do I apply a patch to a leather garment?

I don't actually have a 29 class patcher..yet.  There is a guy near me that is selling one, however.

This leads me to my question.  I had heard talk somewhere (here, maybe?) that a 29K-something machine made it possible to sew motorcycle club patches on jackets with the stitches on the back of the peice going in between the lining and the back side of the leather.

I am having a hard time visualizing the process.  What I'm thinking is that the lining has to have a stitch line unpicked then the patch applied, then the lining of the garment re-stitched to the garment proper. 

Surely I am overthinking / overcomplicating this. 

Would someone walk me through the process of how one puts a patch on a leather jacket without sewing through the lining, please? 

Thank you!

Your visualisation is correct

With the patcher you have a 360 degree head to can fit the head inside a small area and sew if necessary around a badge, have a look on YouTube for some video'son the singer 29K

You are correct. I open the lining along the bottom of the jacket and then you can insert the arm of the machine in between. Not a big deal.

It will liet you put front patches on areas that have a pocket also....without sewing the pocket closed