I am wondering what folks use for eye and face protection while sewing.  Plain old everyday glasses, safety glasses, face goggles, or something else?  

While working with my 31-15 (I'm still finding filthy places on her!!) I've been wearing goggles, but I am hoping for the day where I can switch off to something more comfortable, and I am looking for recommendations from the 'been there; done that' crowd in order to shorten my learning curve.

Thank you!

While I do happen to wear prescription glasses, I’m not sure why you need face protection while machine sewing? I’m more worried about sewing through my fingers.

Heaven forbid I break a needle. :(

1 hour ago, 480volt said:

While I do happen to wear prescription glasses, I’m not sure why you need face protection while machine sewing? I’m more worried about sewing through my fingers.

wot he says. :16: ~ I've had the occasional needle break but it just snapped and kept stuck in the material. If your machine is set up properly then there is a very slim risk of needles breaking

Every little while I pass a sewing repair shop in Belfast. None of the dozen or so workers in there wear protective glasses, only a couple wear what look like ordinary reading/closeup spectacles for the close nature of their work. And Belfast Health & Safety inspectors are extremely efficient in ensuring rules are obeyed in commercial premises

The part that normally breaks off is most often still held by the thread through the needle, also the stories i think are from the machinist doing their sewing at 3-5000spm rather than the slow speeds most leather workers use

I work in construction. Since all insurance companies, and therefore all contractors are all lawyered up regarding reportable injuries, and with OSHA dictating minimum standards for personal protective equipment (PPE), anyone walks on a job site must wear ANSI Z87.1 rated eye protection. For you, this would take the form of clear plastic safety glasses with side shields, available at any tool store or big box home improvement store, dirt cheap and commonly available. This only protects your eyes- the expensive part.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone wearing safety glasses while operating a sewing machine, in any environment. Small workshops, schools, factories, never.

I have a general distrust of safety gear used without a specific and well considered use-case. I find that it tends to get in the way, fosters a false sense of security and can increase the risk of getting injured.

32 minutes ago, Matt S said:

I have a general distrust of safety gear used without a specific and well considered use-case. I find that it tends to get in the way, fosters a false sense of security and can increase the risk of getting injured.

There’s not a single person working in the trades that would disagree with that! How does wearing a high-visibility vest and hard hat in a finished building increase my personal safety one bit?

But the OP asked about eye protection, it’s maybe eight bucks for peace of mind, regardless whether the rest of us think it’s necessary. 

9 minutes ago, 480volt said:

But the OP asked about eye protection, it’s maybe eight bucks for peace of mind, regardless whether the rest of us think it’s necessary. 

This is true.

Maybe, if available to her, a pair of basic impact resistant spectacles with side shields. As easy and as comfortable to wear as ordinary spectacles. I sometimes wear such when needed. If wearing them gives her peace of mind then I'd recommend them before most other.

I mostly use my prescription reading glasses for threading the machines needle or when I need the extra clarity otherwise I don't wear anything. I do wear safety glasses when cutting / grinding metal or using a chainsaw where stuff is probably going to be flying everywhere but never worn or even considered wearing eye protection while sewing anything. For some eye protection may give them with a piece of mind, for me I think they would be more of hindrance and wind up in the "don't iron pants while wearing them" bin.

kgg

14 hours ago, DebSweet said:

I am wondering what folks use for eye and face protection while sewing.  Plain old everyday glasses, safety glasses, face goggles, or something else?  

While working with my 31-15 (I'm still finding filthy places on her!!) I've been wearing goggles, but I am hoping for the day where I can switch off to something more comfortable, and I am looking for recommendations from the 'been there; done that' crowd in order to shorten my learning curve.

Thank you!

People sewing sitting behind a machine for the most part, have there face and eyes tuned right in there within a couple feet of there materials and the needle . So No harm in wearing safety glasses behind sew machinery .

There is little chance needle deflection strike and piece of broken needle going ballistic when sewing threw, Slow, Thin , Soft , Level ,  is a micro small chance deflection and slamming throat plate or dogs . ( but It Is still there ) .. But Deflection on the needle punching is the wild card and you can't predict , and when Needles snap they do unpredictable .
I can Not Count the # of times I have had deflections and needle strikes over the years . Have replaced a few throat plates with new that have been trashed multiple strikes . I have been hit in face and arm couple times in my life behind sew machine and needle break . Once on Bartacker and that made me NEVER go without eye's or face shield on that machine, Also been hit zigzagging threw some thick harder materials webbing and cordura before on the normal industrial. ..Etc.

Edited by nylonRigging

11 hours ago, 480volt said:

If the OP wants to wear goggles, a grinding mask or a full-body kevlar EOD suit is their choice. However my experience of cheapo safety glasses is that they are uncomfortable, fit badly, fog quickly, scratch easily and are optically non-flat (they distort the image you see through them). I find it interesting that the UK Health & Safety Executive (equivalent of the US OSHA), generally known (fairly or not) as a bunch of jobsworths who have never operated anything more dangerous than a clipboard, don't even mention goggles/glasses in their guidance to sewing machine operators, simply to assess provision of machine-fitted eye guards.

My Mother put a needle from her *Pfaff 60 straight through her finger many years ago  :oops: :bawling: .

Needless to say I have learnt from that, considering the needles from ' our machines on steroids'  we all use  are like long nails , so I keep my 'fingees' well away  from the business end of the machine . 

I have never had the need to use PPE while sewing , only with other machines like buffers, grinders  etc.

*the Pfaff 60  is now in my workshop sewing thin leathers . Can't help but think of what Mum did every time I use it. *

HS

Edited by Handstitched

2 hours ago, Matt S said:

If the OP wants to wear goggles, a grinding mask or a full-body kevlar EOD suit is their choice.

Don't forget to put on one of these whenever using dangerous machinery like sewing machines or clicker presses, it may save you from all the throat cutting flying debris that we leatherworkers have to put up with.  

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRE_lNzixPFuhNzb9ffeVajdsYwZ_myje7mZHeY5rL9sp0dnojJ

(Just having fun, no disrespect to the OP that obviously needs/wants protection. Better safe than sorry.)
(Pic found on Google, remove if not OK for any reason)