Professor

Howdy Pardner.

The Professor here.

Only found your site recently. After being a bit disappointed with a Western drop loop belt and holster outfit I bought online I decided I'd best make one to suit me.

I used to make holsters, shoulder holster rigs, repair English style saddles, and various other stuff, but due to complications from a hand injury I haven't done much leatherwork for over 20 years. i still have most of my tools and a large double shoulder i bought on sale a few years ago but never got around to using.

I figure I have enough leather for two gun belts and at least one and probably two Mexican Loop or Buscadero holsters.

I picked up a Western gunbelt pattern booklet awhile back, only a few patterns in it and not really what I'm looking for.

Won't be able to post any photos for awhile, the storms in these mountains are death on PC towers. 

I do have a scan of a home made dagger and sheath I made years ago but haven't been ble to find the folder its in. I'll scan it again later along with any thing else flat enough for by scanner to make a fairly clear image.

2 hours ago, sdkidaho said:

Have a look, it might be what you’re searching for:

Already downloaded it. In fact i found I already had downloaded this file long ago from some other source. My memory was never good and approaching my three score and ten hasn't improved on it much. I'll be reading it and paying attention this time.

Using the gun belt I got online to go by I marked off a longer slimmer drop loop belt. The belt I got is three inches wide and almost too short for my purposes, also way too stiff though its loosened up some after wearing it for awhile. I'm making this belt 2 1/2" wide and four inches longer, so I can wear it over a light coat or layered wool shirt and denim over shirt. I want it to fit snug on the first hole when wearing jeans without a belt and a T-shirt only and have plenty of room for adjustment when wearing thicker clothing.

The leather I'm using is about 8-9 ounce but a hair too flexible so I'll be adding a liner of some sort. I don't want to double it using leather from this same shoulder. I want the belt light and flexible but with good body. I'm figuring a 4-5 ounce liner glued flesh to flesh sides with rubber cement.

One reason I wanted a slimmer belt is I have two sets of nickel plated deep engraved western buckles with matching keepers I salvaged from two very old and rotten snake skin belts I ran across years ago. One of these would work fine on a 2 1/2" belt. I'll probably use the best buckle and both keepers.