twotrees

Anyone had trouble with Schmetz needles?

In the process of getting used to a new-to-me Juki 341N, picked up a pack of Schmetz needles because the guy who supplied the servo motor also sold those.  I've tried three different needles out of the pack and every single one breaks my top thread after about 6 inches of stitching.  A Groz Beckert needle of the same size, with the same thread stitches no problem at all.

Has anyone else found Schmetz needles to be a bit iffy?  They're all I use in my small fabric machines and have no problems like this, so I'm curious.

All I use in my Juki for various thread sizes are the Schmetz needles never had any problems.

kgg

Some machine can be setup to use other then the needle recommended by the manufacture, do you know what needles the previous owner was using?

Bert.

RESOLVED

Got in touch with the previous owner to check exactly what the needle that was in the machine when I bought it was.  Turns out the needle that came with the machine was different to the needles that I bought, a triangular profile rather than the diamond profile that I thought it was.  Oops. I have a lot to learn.

4 hours ago, twotrees said:

In the process of getting used to a new-to-me Juki 341N, picked up a pack of Schmetz needles because the guy who supplied the servo motor also sold those.  I've tried three different needles out of the pack and every single one breaks my top thread after about 6 inches of stitching.  A Groz Beckert needle of the same size, with the same thread stitches no problem at all.

Has anyone else found Schmetz needles to be a bit iffy?  They're all I use in my small fabric machines and have no problems like this, so I'm curious.

Good you got it figured out and sewing good now . Just changing from the wrong needle an easy fix .

There can sometime 'subtle' difference between Needle brands for sure . And manufactures do have different designs and thoughts behind there needles .
I usually buy/run Groz-Beckert for 135x5 and 135x17 needles .
But . ( for example ) .. I got one straight-zigzag combo machine that the only way to get the 10mm factory width when zizzag, is to use Organ Brand needles on the timing , Organ Brand, it has a longer scarf cut than Groz-beckert needles .
I prefer Groz-Beckert with there shoulder tapper shaft, over the Organ Brand straight tapper shaft . But the Organ brand do good and no complaints . Groz-Beckert I think also have smooth less friction with there shoulder step-down shaft taper, over Organ straight shaft . but you pay more for the GB's also .

In Pic. below, both the Needles are 135x17 ( 21 ) .
With Groz-Beckert on top , and Organ Brand on bottom . Both Sold as same size needles, but notice there is a subtle design difference on Scarf and also Hole .
-

-

needle difference small size.jpg

Edited by nylonRigging

I've found the Schmetz needles made in China are 1/16" shorter, with a shorter scarf and for what is supposed to be the same size needle, the hole appears slightly smaller than the Schmetz needles from Germany. I stopped using them because of this. Seemed like every time I would ask a seller if their needles were from Germany or China they would say Germany, needles showed and said made in China. I became aware of this issue after I started fraying thread and occasionally missing stitches after getting some new needles.

I switched to Groz-Beckart. This is for 794 system needles BTW...

Edited by Mark842

My understanding is that Schmetz moved some of their production to India, not China.  Does the needle package say China on it?  Organ moved some of their production to Viet Nam.  Groz-Beckert went somewhere but not sure where.

glenn