TomWisc

What is this old tool?

I attend a leather tooling group at our local Senior Center and a lady brought in 2 cigar boxes of old leather tools that she found in her deceased husbands workshop. He never did leather working and she doesn't know where he got the stuff. Interestingly there is a receipt in the box for some supplies from a shop in Milwaukee dated 1921. There was some thread, rusty needles, misc. awls, and the item in the picture. Although it looks rough, it is not rusted badly and all the parts still move. There is no name or number stamped on this tool. The pictures are not great. There is a tiny spool on the tool holding thread which goes through the needle.

Does anyone know what this is and what it would be used for?

I have 2 other pictures. I will have to resize them and post in a little while...

IMG_23151.png

I posted this a few days ago and got no response but several views. I know lots of people do not look at the forum every day so I thought I would bring it back up in case someone sees it that knows what it is used for?

Thanks

I looked at your photos and looked at my Speedy Stitcher and thought maybe a earlier and fancier version of it, but I do not know what it could be used for, maybe Sail making?

Bert.

I looked through my copy of "Dictionary of Leather-Working Tools, c.1700-1950 and the Tools of Allied Trades" and this is not in there. I would agree with Bert, it is similar to a speedy stitcher and was most likely used in sail or canvas stitching. The fact that it can hold such a large spool would lead to believe that you could do a lot of work before needing to refill. 

Thanks guys for your responses. I will have to look up a speedy stitcher to see how they are used. I don't know anything about the person who originally used it but it is neat to find something from back in the 1920 era.

A; speed-stitchers, aka sewing-awl are dead easy peasy to use. Shove needle with thread through leather, making its own hole or a pre-made hole. when the needle and thread is thru, pull a length of thread off the needle equal to and a bit more than the length you want to sew. Pull the needle back thru the hole leaving this extra length behind. Poke needle thru next hole until thread is thru, then back it out a wee bit leaving a wee loop, feed that extra length thru the loop and pull the needle back out completely = 1st stitch, repeat along the length needing sewing: in hole, back a bit leaving a loop, feed thru loop, back out fully, in next hole. Its very fast when the subject is in a clamp.

b. this appears to have a c-clamp built on the back end. I'm thinking its for clamping the sewing needle and to feed heavy long material, like sail or tent canvas, onto the needle rather than working the needle unit along the material

If you check your needle shank and length, it might be the same as the Speedy Stitcher and cheep replacement.

Bert.