unionattic

Pfaff 471-755/01 Needles

I bought a used Pfaff 471.  It came with a handful of needles and I had a technician tune up the machine. Works well.

The needles that came with the machine (and work) are Schmetz with the codes:

• CANU: 20:05AX1
  • NM:90 Size: 14
  • 1134 LR
  • 135x8 R TW
  • PFx134 LR

I needed more needles (and stronger needles) so the technician told me to use DPx35 Needles.

I bought some Schmetz Needles with the codes:

• CANU: 32:10AX1
  • NM: 120 Size: 19
  • 134-35 LR
  • DPx35LR

These do not work.  The miss stitches etc. I realized that they're roughly 3mm longer than the 20:05AX1 that came with the machine.  

The manual says "Use System 134 LLCR Needles only"

So I don't know if any of the needles I have are technically correct.  Were the original needles not exactly right either, but the machine was adjusted to suit them?   Is the manual using an antiquated code? (the manual is from mid-1950s).    What needle system should I be using?

System 134 sounds right for that Pfaff. Avoid 134-35 as they are too long. You want System 134 Leather Point or Diamond/Tri Point.

The needle bar can be raised to accommodate longer needles, but why do that?

My Pfaff 481 (flatbed) uses the very common 134R needles.....also called DPx5 or 135x5.  My Singer 20U33 uses the same needle.

-DC

471 takes system 134, or 135X7

When the designate a cut point, as in this case, the system needle changes for example here 134LR, 135X8 RTW, 

In this case, LL is a cut point needle with an hour glass shape. CR I'm not sure and can look this up later.

134-35 are very different needle, but the needle shank will will fit the same with the 134.  

@Gregg:   Locally I can get Groz-Beckert 134LR needles,  although i buy them directly from GB (minimum order size 100 needles, so way more than i need, but still makes more sense than buying small lots overseas to ship here).    What size(s) should I get, the GB Distributor carries a broad range.    A lot of my fabric-bag projects i use size #20 or #30 thread.  In leather projects,  i'd make wallets and  bags.  I'm not making massive stuff like a saddle or osmething.  

I would think a needle size 16~20 would be a good start, I'd have to really see the whole job, not just the thread, but again try these sizes.