chriscraft

POLICE Officer badge

I’m starting a new field notes leather cover project. I recently made one for a police Chief that had an eagle and turned out great. I’m borrowing that same eagle and incorporating a Police badge. I had this idea and sketched it out on paper. 

This new leather cover will be completely tooled. I’m making this for a gift and it will be headed to South Texas to provide years of service. 

2A4B12CA-B2F9-4D28-ABE2-961834EA549B.jpeg

It’s slowly coming along

38214DED-81DA-4896-80A1-A7A3C6D7658D.jpeg

I really like your sketch and the beginning of the project that you have shared.

Using a Craftool Co. 888 stamp

2F930202-A413-4793-9718-9819C7ACBAE1.jpeg

Modeling spoon on this tiny face... 

69F29B47-4AD9-41CA-9F59-5B3AEA6339F9.jpeg

Astounding detail.  Wish I could watch you do this.

YinTx

I was speechless to start but I had to say......:notworthy: you have an incredible gift to share with the world. That is not to say that a LOT of dedicated attention and study is not also more than  apparent.

Thank you, I really appreciate it, I do.

I have an admiration for the craft and try to do my best but the reality is that I am still a novice. I am still learning and searching for ways to bring out the images out on this material. I am still trying to find time so that I can keep practicing leatherwork. It’s been a while since I’ve tooled leather or posted here on this board. It’s been a rollercoaster ride of starting and stopping leatherwork. I think this time I won’t stop as I’m making it one of my priorities. I need an outlet and creating has always been it for me. 

I’m proud to be working on this piece that I’ll be gifting to my nephew. He grew up looking up to me calling me an artist and come to think of it, I’ve never really drawn anything for him. So I wanted to make him a powerful piece that shows off my skills and appreciation to his carrier. Something he will carry with him day in and day out and maybe one day pass it on. 

The project is is moving along super slow. I’ve tooled for a couple hours here and 30 minutes there that I’ve lost track on how much time I’ve put into this. It’s getting closer to be completed. I had to shorten some of the lettering as I drew the word “police officer” a little too close to the center and some of it would be cut off when folded. So I had to improvise. 

Chris

767D4706-76DF-436D-9511-163A810CC7FE.jpeg

It's stunning and poignant work.  I love the addition of the angel beside the badge and the eagles.  

Quite stunning!

For my next memo book leather cover I’ll be simplifying it by only tooling in the badge. I’m trying to speed up the process of building a cover. This will also bring the cost down a bit making is somewhat affordable or reasonable. 

On this sketch I made the badge boarder leaf scrolls a little larger to make it easier for me to tool them in.  This cover will go to an officer I’ve ran into frequently while at work. 

59E064AA-63C1-428D-B5E8-3E33C8B9C2AD.jpeg

Darn!!! I miscalculated my lettering. It’ll still make a good gift. 

Oh well, I’ll get the next one right. Live and learn

BEAD6DFD-97C6-423E-AB94-9F7E0A6C098F.jpeg

Edited by chriscraft
Edit photo

I was able to finish the cover today. This was a fun build. 

0213DE64-11CA-4B2A-BF8B-C0F64BBECDE5.jpeg

It's stunning and poignant work.  I love the addition of the angel beside the badge and the eagles.  

This is beautiful.

Whoa!  (although I think my neighbor just heard me say 'Holy s--t!'

Pretty sure that I'm looking at some mad skills here, and the work of a real craftsman (a title I hope to achieve through outstanding results and not just my outstanding efforts).

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by zzmikeg

Just FANTASTIC is all I can think to say.

On 11/17/2019 at 6:07 PM, chriscraft said:

I was able to finish the cover today. This was a fun build. 

Very nice!
I'm so happy you didn't paint it with a lot of cheesy acrylics, the all brown is sweet!

chriscraft

I am so jealous ,  your talent is amazing. 

I tip my hat for you Sir

bow.jpeg

Thanks for all the compliments. I’m really enjoying building these day book covers. There is something special about building a basic stationary item and using a little bit of my artistic ability to make these standard items stand out. Each piece will be unique and serve many years alongside the individual that owns it. 

I think I’ve found my new niche market.  

98B43290-E696-4EE1-8809-B632AFCC29F7.jpeg

4E35795D-9175-400C-AAEE-EB2E4DE240D5.jpeg

48680134-7695-40E6-B776-A4D2D497BC28.jpeg

385B5B6C-4F1F-4E21-8444-B5086F21E22F.jpeg

88463E69-BAEE-43A9-9B64-321FA54A4CCD.jpeg

C64EEBE0-6832-4DBD-A920-8B41FD5880FC.jpeg

I was commissioned to build this cover for an Assistant Fire Chief. Hopefully he will like it as much as I did making it. 

Edited by chriscraft