DebSweet

Leash and Collar for large strong dog?

Hi.  I'm looking for a 1/4" or so thick strap that is about 1" wide, finished on both sides and about 5' long.  This would be for a dog leash for a serious puller.  (She's a recent rescue who is just learning her manners and oh my is she stubborn.

Where would I order such a thing, please?  

Thank you!

1/4"??  that's 16oz leather. Saddle skirting doesn't even come that thick. Horse straps and reins aren't even that thick and you're looking at 1000+ plus for one of them. If you want something that thick, you're looking at stitching 2 pieces together. Not to mention, there is no such thing as finished on both sides but stitching them grain side to grain will give you finished on both sides.

On 10/25/2019 at 4:39 PM, DebSweet said:

Hi.  I'm looking for a 1/4" or so thick strap that is about 1" wide, finished on both sides and about 5' long.  This would be for a dog leash for a serious puller.  (She's a recent rescue who is just learning her manners and oh my is she stubborn.

Where would I order such a thing, please?  

Thank you!

Check this company out California Collar Co., they make really nice leather collars and leashes.  

Depending on the size of the dog, if they really pull you should consider getting a collar like this Herm Sprenger Training Collar.  In spite of the appearance, the "spikes" are dull and painless and it's really effective for controlling large dogs.

For the serious pullers, like Akita's / Alaskan Malamute's / Mastiff's / Black Russian Terrier etc. is a good quality prong collar like mdv99 suggested. When a quality prong collar is properly sized, put on properly and most importantly used correctly it is like having power steering on your car. You could almost walk them with the prong collar and a shoe string for a lead.

You can get cheap prong collars do not use them. A quality prong collar has the prong ends rounded nicely so there are no sharp bits that could stick or stab the neck of the dog. A way to test is rub the end of the prongs over your arm if it scratches your flesh then it is of poor quality. A lot of pet shops do carry them but you have to ask for them as most stores don't openly display them.

What I have done for difficult dogs is put their regular collar on and the prong collar. Hook the lead to the prong collar for a time then transfer the lead to the regular collar and see what happens. Loss of control then hook backup to the prong collar eventually just putting the prong collar on the dog will cause the dog to behave properly. When I have had to use a prong collar to correct the pullers it is only for short ten minute bursts in an enclosed safe area, lots of special treats and then followed by twenty minutes of enjoyable time.

kgg

Where are you located? And the operative question is, How strong/big are you?  Do you need more than a leash?  Are you the weak link in the chain or is it the leash.  Need more to go on.

Actually, I'm all set.  I was able to find the guy I bought the last bit of leather from;  he had some more of it and I bought it. Hooray!

As for the dogs, both are rescues.  My dog is a big Labrador that had had several homes before me; some of his leash skills were *ahem* 'less than'..but there isn't a darn thing wrong with his scent tracking.  Hence, the need for Heavy Duty leash #1. (And a Herm Sprenger prong collar)

My other halfs' dog is a Cattle Dog X that was supposed to have been fully grown and with her head on straight.  She's a puppy. She's positively goofy on leash. I have no idea how big she will be. She's hard-headed about this leash walking business; hence the need for Heavy Duty leash #2.  She will also be fitted for a prong collar. 

Thank you all for being willing to help.  :)