grimdaddy

Removing contact cement

Hey y'all,

I've decided to attempt to disassemble a patrolman swivel holster, and I figured that while the unstitching part would go easily enough, the contact cement would go differently. I've read that acetone will dry out and crack the leather (which i want to keep as a pattern to make a copy of the holster), and I've also heard that heat is helpful, melting the contact cement i guess. I don't have any experience with contact cement, what do you guys reckon?

Do you have any idea of they type of cement / glue used?

My first attempt would be a hand held wire brush.   I have one that looks very similar to a tooth brush, . . . it would be the first tool I would grab.

Another I would think of is a 1 1/2 inch wide wood chisel (very VERY sharp) and if the pieces were flat enough, . . . I would use it to cut of any fibers that stick up on the piece.

The cement does not penetrate deep into the leather, . . . actually, more or less, lays on top of it, . . . and it would be especially easy on any flesh side parts.

May God bless,

Dwight

SOunds like a time burner.  Probably faster and easier (and likely cleaner) to just use a very sharp knife, cut down between the glued layers.  If you get off just a tad, doesn't matter.  As long as you don't cut through, it'll glue back together as before, and sew.

To disassemble I'd use a Xacto blade to cut through stitching and glue.  I've used a heat gun to take apart large pieces, but be careful not to get the leather too hot. I peeled back some then directed heat to where leather joins. Not fast or fun. -John 

I use a single edge razor blade and lay it flat on the leather then rock it back and forth while pushing into the glue.

Edited by Louiesdad

try it with a piece of fabric with steam and pull of delicately progressively.

Well, I have never done this but I think that soaking the piece in very warm water would be the best first effort. Hot as you can stand it on your bare hands.

Let the leather soak until it is well saturated and the glue has had time to warm up. Then try to pry it apart with a butter knife or some dull edged tool.

nick

20 hours ago, grimdaddy said:

melting the contact cement

Not melting!  Only warm enough to warm the cement to reactivate it, but instead of pressing it together, you are going to pull it apart. 

Tom

G'Day,

I have used *toluene to soften up contact adhesive,  and I have also used it to ' thin' out the the last remaining bits of  contact in the tin to make it  stretch. It gets a bit ex$y to keep chucking out the little  leftover bits in the tin. 

But yes, acetone can dry out leather . 

*Be very careful if you decide to use toluene . Wear eye protection  and gloves, because it burns !!!:devil: 

HS

Thanks y'all, i figured it would be best to use an exacto knife after applying heat and water, but i just wanted you guys' opinion, as i'm fairly new to leathercrafting. I appreciate all the replies :)