BridleButt

Opinion of Hinki Shikaku Shell Cordovan

I just bought some Hinki Shikaku shell cordovan and I'm not impressed at all. The Hinki looks and feels like plastic and the flesh side showed wrinkles immediately and wasn't smooth and poreless. The grain side showed stress when folding it for a wallet, almost like it was flaking. To be fair, this is a first impression and time will tell how the Hinki wallets age. I've used both Horweens and  https://www.cordovan.co/ in the past and I'd rate them #1 (by a large margin) and #2 respectively in quality and longevity. I'll try to post pics of wallets made from each type after a couple of years use and the Hinki I got yesterday. 

Edited by BridleButt

On 10/26/2019 at 10:25 AM, BridleButt said:

I just bought some Hinki Shikaku shell cordovan and I'm not impressed at all. The Hinki looks and feels like plastic and the flesh side showed wrinkles immediately and wasn't smooth and poreless. The grain side showed stress when folding it for a wallet, almost like it was flaking. To be fair, this is a first impression and time will tell how the Hinki wallets age. I've used both Horweens and  https://www.cordovan.co/ in the past and I'd rate them #1 (by a large margin) and #2 respectively in quality and longevity. I'll try to post pics of wallets made from each type after a couple of years use and the Hinki I got yesterday. 

Still feeling the same about this?? I love the shine Shinki is able to produce but I wouldn’t want it to feel like plastic though!