Nightshade

Speed reducer for Juki JNU 1541S

Would adding a speed reducer to my Juki DNU 1541S be any benefit?

I have the motor turned down to the lowest setting and need more control especially at start up.

I put one on my Juki, and really like the slow speed control.  It also adds a wallop of punching power.  

I use a box style speed reducer that mounts to the table using the same bolt holes as the motor.  Then you can mount the motor to the box style speed reducer.  I use a servo motor too.

I had a standard double wheel speed reducer, but didn't like it.  The way it was mounted prevented me from tipping the head back.  

3 hours ago, Ken Nelson said:

Where did you get your speed reducer?

Bob from Toledo Sewing sells them.  I really like the layout with the motor directly under the speed reducer.  Nothing is in the way, and everything works as it should.  

24 minutes ago, Pintodeluxe said:

Bob from Toledo Sewing sells them.  I really like the layout with the motor directly under the speed reducer.  Nothing is in the way, and everything works as it should.  

I have the same box reducer under my post machine table. The rest of the machines have standard 2 or 3 pulley reducers.

18 hours ago, Nightshade said:

Would adding a speed reducer to my Juki DNU 1541S be any benefit?

I have the motor turned down to the lowest setting and need more control especially at start up.

Short answer, for what you want to do - yes.

I have the double wheel on my Cowboy 3200 and like how slow I can get it to run especially starting off. 

I'd never heard of a box reducer but it sounds like the hot set up for this. About what does it cost, as I have to order thread as well?

Here is a picture of a Box style I purchased from Bob recently it is awesome. I am using it on my 111w154 which has a small motor pulley and a servo motor. This thing is awesome slows machine down to a point where I can stop at any point during the up or down stroke. I am lucky enough to live about 8 miles from Toledo Industrial Sewing so I can drive over and get parts and great advice easily.

I bought a CB3200 that had one installed and that really showed me what control i. I thought using my Needle position sensor was giving me good control but I realized that while it allowed me to stop at bottom or top of stroke I didn't have good control of the speed it went up and down only that I could go one stitch at a time. I believe I paid around 200 for the box reducer.

box reducer frontside.jpg

I know i need to get more experience with the machine. 

I'll give Bob a call later. I have projects that need doing. The Cowboy doesnt like upholstery leather and the leather doesnt like 207 thread